Caribou Gear Tarp

Tripod advice?

mtelkhntr78

I am in the market for a new spotting scope and tripod. I have figured out which scope I want but I am lost when it comes to tripods.

Does anyone have recomendationson a tripod I should get. I do a decent ammount of backpack hunting so I am not looking for somthing to heavy and can be compact.

Any advice on brands? Composition-Aluminum/carbon fiber? Other extras?

I personally like the slik tripods. Check out the Slik Sprint Pro, I have this one for traveling lite. The only thing I would recommend is to replace the head.

Most of the outdoor photographers use carbon fiber tripods, because of the light weight / high strength. If you don't plan to stand, you don't need a very tall tripod.

So what about heads? Ball vs Pan and it the stock heads are not good enough...why and what are some reasonable alternatives?

Thanks

I use ball heads for most of my tripods, but pan and tilt heads are OK. Since I mainly use my tripods for photography, I use a Manfrotto 322RC2 grip action quick release ball head. The trigger allows you to move rapidly in any direction and lock quickly. The quick release allows me to interchange cameras and lenses rapidly. I keep a quick release adapter on each lens or body that I might want to use. I also keep a v-rest so I can rapidly convert my tripod to a shooting rest. I use a camera tripod to shoot prairie dogs, it works quite well. You don't have really fine aiming control with a standard ball or pan head. For that, you need a geared head. They are steady and give fine control, but they are heavy and move slowly. For steady, you need heavy. A heavy tripod and head will give a much steadier view at high magnification. If you want light weight, you have to accept some shake. If you want real precision and control, you need a surveyor's transit (theodolite, these days).

if your huntin,id recomend the bog podtri-pod,its a little heavy but with the switchero ball adapter it will work for spotting and shooting combined.

One word, Manfrotto. I have the 190XDB and I really like it. I wish I had the fluid head...but so far I'm doing just fine without it.

One word, Manfrotto. I have the 190XDB and I really like it. I wish I had the fluid head...but so far I'm doing just fine without it.

I think it said that this model has the screw ins for the leg extensions? I was looking at the different models. Seems this might be an upgrade to it with quick action leg locks, which sounds like it would make for an easier and quicker set up. Same weight, same quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-190XPROB-Section-Aluminum-Tripod/dp/B000N7VPRW/ref=pd_cp_p_2

+1 on Manfrotto & Bogen heads. I dont like pistol grips for spotting scopes. Reason being, if want to make a slight adjustment, unless you have one hand on the spotter and one on the grip, as soon as you squeeze, there is movement. I prefer pan, I can use with one hand. In my opinion fluid pan & tilt heads are the way to go. Also, they are much easier to use with windshield adaptors as well, pistol grip heads are too tall and cumbersome for that application.

For hunting just make sure any tripod does not have the legs connected anywhere but where they meet at the middle. Those tripods that have the connectors near the bottom of the legs are a no-no because you cannot have the pod straddled over you as you sit on a hillside. You want to be able to place the pod over your legs while sitting. Most tripod manufactures make both styles, ignore the ones that have the connectors.
Here is an example of both styles, one not to get and one to get.
http://www.predatoroptics.info/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1185759&pid=71381
http://www.predatoroptics.info/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1185759&pid=71386

Leupold makes a pretty nice open leg style compact for a good price
http://www.predatoroptics.info/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1185759&pid=54907

And a +1 to those also recommending the Slik compact with the ball head for back packing, and the Bogen/manfrotto for general non-packing. The older 3001 series are overlooked and can be found for good prices used, even with fluid movement heads. I have picked up a couple for 75-100$ off craigslist in the past with heads!
Also, a quick release plate is high on my list for a tripod if you can go that route. Taking a spotter on and off is a pain in the arse... and you never want to pack a spotter while it is attached to a pod as a 1/4-20 thread screw is not that strong and something is going to give in a fall situation.

Last edited:
Slik pro CF series, you'll find somting to fit your style of hunting and spotting. Personally I'm going with the 624 CF this year, supports 8.8 lbs weighs 1.8" packs down to 14" and has a maximum height of 44.7", its got a good price at around $230 as well.

Bought a Saker from Schmalts and decided to go with a SLIK Sprint Pro EZ. I am with Struge on the Pan/Tilt head over Ball head functionality.

I think it depends on the size of the scope. I have a SLIK mini sprint... works fine on smaller scopes but sucks with my Diascope.

I have a 'cheap' vortex Timberline or Skyline (don't recall the name) that works pretty well with the larger scope. I little heavier, but extends to about 50" or so, and works well on steep terrain. I think I paid $100 for it and am plenty happy with it.

I'm not a fan of screw locks on the legs... go with the flick lock.

Carbon fiber all the way. It's pricey, but the weight savings are great. I have a Manfrotto 190 Cx that I am very happy with. It replaced an aluminum pod that was a good 3.5 lbs heavier. If you are not going to use the head with heavy DSLRs/long fast lenses/ battery packs/ etc., I'd get a small ball head for your set up. The pan/tilt heads with the tightening controls that look like a pair of screwdrivers are a pain on the side of your pack. I backpacked through New Zealand for a couple of months with one strapped to the side of my pack, and no matter how I tried to secure it, it was always wacking me in the head. Also, if you want to store the ball head in your pack for some reason it is more compact. Just my two cents.

I think it really depends on how big of a tripod you get. The weight savings on the smaller compact tripods is pretty negligable between carbon and aluminum, from what I've seen. Costs a heck of a lot of money to save a few oz, but I've been known to waste that kind of money to save less. :D

I have been using the Outdoorsman tripod, as most of my hunting is far from the roads and it is very light weight. The heavy tripods are nice to use when the wind picks up just not something I want to pack around.

CABugle

Back