PEAX Equipment

Transporting game home

nhn2a

I'm thinking of planning a hunt for Canada or Alaska and am trying to figure out the logistics of transporting my game home (assuming I'm successful). I've heard a lot of people just ship the antlers or cape back and donate the meat locally but I want to get the meat back. I've heard some people carry it back through the airlines and others go with a parcel company like FedEx or UPS. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shipping it home on the airline with you is generally the cheapest way to go but you really need to check out the prices for excess baggage for each airline. American and United are pretty spendy, Alaska Airlines is pretty cheap. When I booked my flights the excess baggage fee on American was going to be almost as much as the actual cost of the flight.

You can trim that down by having some of the airline credit cards that allow you to check a bag free, etc.

FedEx and UPS are pretty steep, up around $250 for a 50lb box when I checked.

Some folks send non perishables home via UPS (like their pack, clothes, etc.) so they can check more meat in their luggage.

Air Cargo can be another option if you live at an airport that one of the larger airlines flies to.

Last there is a guy that will haul your moose or caribou back for you at the end of the season on a semi truck for like $600 - $750 if you live on his route back to Wisconsin or Minnesota you just meet up with him and pick it up. http://www.alaskameatexpress.com/

He filled up last year though so if you have a hunt at a later date that might not work.

So basically there is a ton of different option and it is highly variable based on when you are doing your hunt and where you live.

Good luck.

Same Question diff. state

Ive been invited to Apply for elk hunt with my nephews group who is a nm res.Not sure of my chances on the draw.longshot at best im thinking...But,,, I live in Illlinois ..I know ,Hard to admit it ..lol..If i draw tag .what are options for transport..If im flying out . I would only have 8 days.its 20 hrs each way(driving)So im weighing drive versus fly options...If flying...options for meat transport. thanks in advance

I just got back from Alberta this fall with a muley and a whitey. We left all of the bones in Canada (hide/horns at the taxidermist and the other bones on the mountain) and only brought the meat home. At the border, your Alberta tags acted as the export and on the US side, we filled out a quick form. It was a piece of cake

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back