Caribou Gear

TRAILHEAD BASE CAMP

waer0502

Good afternoon all you HT members!

Long story condensed, last year my hunting partner and I learned how to read topo maps and cover longer sections of ground quicker and easier. We found a new spot we intend to hunt year after year if successful in the draw. We have a couple walking routes now established that allow us to cover the ground easier, granted its a lot longer of walks/bike rides.

We want to establish a comfortable base camp. Last year, we were caught in a rainstorm overnight and most of the next morning, leaving our "lightweight", "easily packable" tents and sleeping bags, etc wet and in need of drying out. So we want to have a more comfortable (stand up, move around a bit) camp with cots and heavy sleeping bags and not worry about the weight. Have a grill and other cooking utensils to eat a decent meal at night and day hunt from base camp. (we still have the other style gear and will probably have with in case we need to adapt)

The question: we are open to canvas wall tents, converted cargo trailers, or other options. We don't want to go the 5th wheel camper trailer or your typical "camper" due to our truck restriction and 1/2 ton ability to pull up the mountain. I have really been kicking around the idea of the Arctic Oven for the sole purpose of: if we are caught in the rain or high moisture of packing camp up at the end of the hunt, I don't want to have to setup a whole canvas tent to properly dry and air out before putting it to bed all off season.

Any thoughts, comments, concerns?

I really like my old-school canvas wall tent and wood stove. You're right though, if those get packed up wet everything has to be set back up at home to dry. Your decision might be weighted by how often it rains or snows where and when you hunt.

I’ve been kicking this around too, and I think the route I will wind up going is a 10x14 Kodak Canvas tent, 2 cots, indoor/outdoor carpeting, a small table and a Mr Buddy propane heater.

I’ve been kicking this around too, and I think the route I will wind up going is a 10x14 Kodak Canvas tent, 2 cots, indoor/outdoor carpeting, a small table and a Mr Buddy propane heater.
This is what I do, works great. The kodiak is also a better all season tent to use for family camping compared to a wall tent.

This is what we use. I love the comfort we get camping OG with a woodstove. We also have an unlimited supply of fuel to keep it toasty in case of extreme weather. But, I also LOVE cutting firewood. The AO tents are awesome but MAN they are expensive. Unless you NEED the extreme capabilities I would go with a wall tent with an internal frame and a wood stove. My bunk is the one on the right ;)

Attachments

• 20191016_154407.jpg
    20191016_154407.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20191016_154430.jpg
    20191016_154430.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • 20191018_181812.jpg
    20191018_181812.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 34
Next year, I'm going keep my truck with a topper as my base camp and use a lightweight tipi with a stove for spike camps. I have been using a Cabelas Bighorn tent, it's just more work to set up than it's worth. I'm also trying to be more mobile as well. Just my 2 cents.

I have a rack mounted roof top tent over the bed of my truck that I use as my base camp. Super comfortable, stayed super dry during a coast range elk hunt, and sets up and tears down in 5 minutes.

Kodiak canvas owner here, can't beat them, IMO. They are canvas and must be dried before storage, which OP hopes to avoid. That leaves nylon: Cabelas outfitter geodesic dome tents are tough, roomy and hold heat better than single wall nylon tents.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cab...79&gclid=CNud9o654OYCFceXxQId38sIGw&gclsrc=ds
Or you could go tipi style: https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/octopeak-4p-tent-system

The domes have more internal room, weigh much more, are more time consuming to pitch.

+1 for the kodiak canvas tent. Started using it just this year and love it. From family camping trips in the NE with my sons, to Montana elk/deer hunting, this tent has lived up to expectations and then some. It’s true that you will have to set it up at home to dry out if you have to pack it wet, but it’s so darn easy to setup that it’s really no big deal. It literally takes 5 minutes to setup and that’s solo.

Base camp tent requirements for me:

Must be able to stand up to dress and have a sleeping cot or full length bed
Must have a heating system and be vented adequately (wood or Propane)
Must be able to set up singlehandedly.
Must be able to set up easily enough for a weekend trip (2 nights) without feeling it is a waste of time
Must not render my vehicle unusable while setup or require breaking down to use truck
Must accommodate my SO and or family and friends.
Must be able to cook under cover and in a heated area.

In summer of 2009 I chose the Cabela's Alaknak II 12x12. That winter my parents bought me a woodstove to go with it. (I borrowed one that first season). It checks all my boxes. It is not perfect by any means but works for me. In the Summer it inspires Awe from the Dome Tent campers. For 11 years I've set it up as the Medical Tent for the local Trial half marathon, run the race and broken it down after the race. It is up for 4 hours. Takes me 30 minutes to erect if I Hustle...it is second nature now.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back