Trail Cam Info...Best/Worst

thegamegtr

I took a position on the HS varsity football staff and I running the summer weight/conditioning program, and I am the head coach of the Middle School football and wrestling teams. Talk about putting a dent into my summer 3-D and this falls hunting season. Anyway, I refuse to give up hunting, but I am going to have to be more efficient. I am wanting to set out trail cams to do some of my scouting for me. I would like to know of any specific trail cams that you have either had good or bad luck with. Thanks

Oh yeah. If you would include the coordinates to your absolute best elk "HONEY HOLE" and the exact location of your tree stand...This way I will be sure to not hunt in your area:D

Reconyx if you have the money and cuddeback if you dont. DO NOT BUY the piece of $hit Bushnell things that Waddell "swears" work great. Terrible picture quality. As for the first 2, You can get 3 cuddes for the price of 1 reconyx depending on the model. Hope this helps

I have two Primos 35, both failed within 12 months, bloody annoying as they are the only ones i have ever purchased.
I have heard good reports on Bushnell
Cheers
Richard

This is what I need to know. Money is, of course, an issue. However, I will spend more money on something that works! Thanks, and I appreciate any and all opinions on the matter.

Reconyx if you have the money and cuddeback if you dont. DO NOT BUY the piece of $hit Bushnell things that Waddell "swears" work great. Terrible picture quality. As for the first 2, You can get 3 cuddes for the price of 1 reconyx depending on the model. Hope this helps

Agree and disagree. I'm with you as far as not buying anything with a bone collector logo on it. On the other hand, I did a lot of research before buying a couple Bushnell Trophy Cams this spring and have been very happy with the pictures and operation of them. Check out reviews on Amazon and trailcampro.com, I can also dig up some pictures to share if you're interested. You can find them for under $150, add $40-50 if you get a bear box and python lock for it.

Cuddeback or Bushnell Trophy Cam. Moultrie cams have always treated me well such as the M-80

I started out using Moultrie cameras and was really happy with them. The price was good back then and I was impressed with the picture quality and camera function. I had a camera on a water catchment and had a ton of pictures with no animals. I thought the trigger speed was too slow. When I zoomed in on the pictures I could see the trigger was being tripped by honey bees. I have one that the display has gone bad, but I know what is supposed to be display so I can still use it. I have heard from others that Moultrie will repair the display, sometimes free of charge. Prices have gone up substantially since I bought my Moultries. I have since bought 3 Wildgame Innovations and used them for one season. So far I have been very happy with the results. IMO, WI is the best bang for the buck these days.

Reconyx motto is "see what you've been missing", and they are spot on with that statement.

I've run several different Moultries, StealthCam, Bushnell, a couple different Scoutguards, and even some Homebrew Sonys and was happy with them, then they all burned up in a fire and I needed to replace them. I think about the only camera brand I haven't tried is Cuddeback and that's because of the old saying "friends don't let friend buy Cuddeback".

While looking for what I was going to buy to replace my burned up cameras, I found 4 Reconynx cameras for a great deal used in the classifieds on MonsterMuleys and was totally amazed. They catch EVERYTHING and they catch it when it first starts to step into the picture. Battery life is great and picture quality is good. They really are a great camera.

With that said, I sure would have a hard time pulling the trigger on one at full retail price. They are plenty expensive that's for sure.

FYI - North American Hunter mag just did a real nice review of all the trail cams pros cons prices. You should check it out. I am not a trail cam guy, and I give my subscriptions to greenhorns and liberals, so they can read about gun laws and legislation. Otherwise I would pass along what they said. Good luck this season Coach!

I've always heard good things about Reconyx. My cousin had a Cudde that lasted less than a year, and I have heard bad things from others as well about Cudde. I have a stealthcam that has lasted 5 years so far. I have been happy with it, but the trigger time is slow. If/when I get another, I would probably go with the Reconyx.

Thanks to all. You have given me a lot to think about and some great resources to research. I appreciate it. Good Luck this season!

I've been using 2 primos truth 35 cams this summer. So far no problems. Not the best night photos, but I'm not trying to use it to score racks. Just get an idea of movement patterns and number of animals in a given area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back