PEAX Equipment

Totally clueless

cwitherow

I'm looking at getting into duck hunting this fall. With no real connections to take me out, I'm having to find my information online, and trial and error this fall. One thing I have yet to figure out, and this may just be a dumb question....what do you sit on? I've watched a lot of videos where they have a-frame blinds but around here most of our water is surrounded by bulrushes. Do you just stand? Back away and set up on shore?

Depends how deep it is but a 5 gallon bucket has always treated me well.

Where do you live and is that where you plan to hunt? I'm happy to share what I know but it is some what specific to area. I started as an adult and made plenty of pre google mistakes

The marsh seat I used starting out was two 2x4s nailed together in a "T" with a couple blocks with 45' cuts for stability

You, sir, are a perfect example of why I frequent this forum on a daily basis. No belittlement, no "you don't know that?", just simple, straight forward advice.
Sorry for the short answer, I was busy with something else at the time. I have used a couple and currently have the Avery marsh seat. There may be better, but I like this one. Padded seat is nice, adjusts up/down dependent on how soft bottom is, seat folds to run parallel with metal tube. Good luck, lots of good ones out there.
avery_marshseat-kw1.jpg

Ha! I love the simple questions, just looking for some good ole fashion input. Good stuff!

It's a relief from the help me find elk or what unit to apply for threads.

I'm in the same boat as you. I jump shoot enough this fall I wanna start hunting over decoys.

Have you looked into a calling tutorial yet? That's first on my list.

Ha! I love the simple questions, just looking for some good ole fashion input. Good stuff!

It's a relief from the help me find elk or what unit to apply for threads.

I'm in the same boat as you. I jump shoot enough this fall I wanna start hunting over decoys.

Have you looked into a calling tutorial yet? That's first on my list.
Been practicing when I can (when I'm not working on turkey slate calling). I've read a drake whistle is a great beginner call, so I'll pick one of those up for sure.

I was not a fan of the 5 gallon bucket, but that is simply because we have about a half mile hike to get to our normal hunting spot. I could never figure out a good way to carry it out there. I found a couple of those chinsey folding tripod seats that I can fit into my decoy bag. Then once I get all the decoys set out I will lay out my bag and put the legs on it so they don't sink into the sand. That marsh seat looks awesome though.

I was not a fan of the 5 gallon bucket, but that is simply because we have about a half mile hike to get to our normal hunting spot. I could never figure out a good way to carry it out there. I found a couple of those chinsey folding tripod seats that I can fit into my decoy bag. Then once I get all the decoys set out I will lay out my bag and put the legs on it so they don't sink into the sand. That marsh seat looks awesome though.
I use the tripod seat also. Cheap and folds up nicely.

There are many ways to hunt ducks. Some depends on what you have to work with and some depend on how you want to hunt. If you don't have a dog that can make a difference on how you hunt as well, ethically anyway. Tell us a little more about what you have or shoot me a pm.

My Dad took a 5gal. bucket and mounted a Lazy Susan to the top,then cut a circular piece of plywood
with a pad on top and mounted that on the Lazy Susan.Keeps shot shells,lunch etc. in the bucket.Easy to carry,
and you have a swivell seat to sit on and hunt. 〽💥

There are many ways to hunt ducks. Some depends on what you have to work with and some depend on how you want to hunt. If you don't have a dog that can make a difference on how you hunt as well, ethically anyway. Tell us a little more about what you have or shoot me a pm.
No dog (yet), just me and two hunting buddies. None of us have gone after ducks specifically, always just jump shoot when pheasant hunting. I suppose something to consider when taking shots is if the water where they'll drop is too deep to get to.

most of the water here is surrounded by cattails, so our plan was to hide in them.

most of the water here is surrounded by cattails, so our plan was to hide in them.

We do basically the same thing but with the vine maple that grows where we hunt. We picked up a couple of camo nets that we will drape over the the maples to help us hide a little bit better.

Jump shooting is a form of duck hunting. Lots of fun and a good way to scout. I personally wouldn't care for hunting pheasants without a dog either.
I'll assume you are aware of camo clothing and concealment if you are a hunter so I'll skip all that. You can stand, sit, crouch, lay on the ground, or float in an inner tube. As long as you blend in with the surrounding and sit still when ducks approach you should be ok. The biggest trick to harvesting ducks is being where the ducks want to be. They have routine feeding and roosting times but not always in the same place. Field hunting over picked grain is probably the most predictable. Ducks will feed morning and evening. They will generally fly into the wind leaving a roost and will visit a field in the evening that they visited that morning but normally not the other way around. It requires no dog and very little gear. Speaking of the dog, if you intend to hunt over water or heavy cover I would consider it unethical to hunt without one. You will loose a lot of birds. Hunting flooded timber near a major river might be an options as well. If you can access the timber on foot it requires little gear and perhaps not a dog provided you are mindful of your shot and where the duck will fall.
Like a lot of things you learn by trying. Give it a shot. Good Luck!

Back