Toppers

I had a hard top in 2016 and sold it for a soft top. Here's why:

In late 2015, I bought a nice Snugtop that I had assumed I would have forever. Spent like 2K on it too, felt like an investment at the time but I just ended up hating it. In early 2016, I bought a piece of furniture that wouldn't fit in the truck, so I ended up having to rent a different truck to get the piece home. It really irritated me that I spend all this extra money on gas and tires etc and still had to rent a vehicle to move something big. I lived alone, so I decided to get a friend over to help me take the topper off, and I would use the topper only when I needed it. I misjudged the strength of the friend, and he dropped his corner of the topper and wrecked it a bit. I sold it not long after but don't get me wrong - that snugtop was a great topper. No leaks, side windows, lights, everything. Just really cumbersome and not what I needed.

Later in 2016 I bought a softopper from a guy on the tacomaworld forum for about $300 and it was exactly what I needed. It takes 15 minutes to take on and by myself. It stores small enough that it hangs on a wall in my garage instead of taking up an entire car bay. And I can use my truck as a truck when I want - I can have gravel dumped in when I need it, and have it ready to go camping 20 minutes later. 99% leak free. It might get a drip every now and again, but I've never had to chase leaks in it. Sometimes a really heavy rain will have a wet edge near where it clamps on. That's about it.

The drawbacks and annoyances -
First - In the winter it gets tent cold since there's no real insulation besides a wind break. High winds don't bother me sleeping neither, since I sleep through anything, but maybe it can be bad for others. In the summer, at least out west, it's too hot to sleep in. Just get a tent. Second - Every time I take it on and off, some of the buttons/rivets will break. I always have to replace at least some of them literally every time. Third - There's no real security on it. I bypassed this problem with a plywood drawer that I built for it. It comes all the way up to the tailgate, and I have a lock installed on the gate. I sleep on top of the box (coffin) and keep gear inside the drawer. Haven't had a problem yet.

I've been happy with the softopper but I see why some wouldn't be. Everyone has a different context and I just thought I'd offer mine. Good luck OP

Attachments

• KIMG1220.JPG
    KIMG1220.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 18
I’ve been really considering one of these. I frequently haul dirt bikes and other tall things but have been wanting a topper to sleep in while hunting. I don’t have room to store a hard shell off the truck so have been looking at soft ones. But I think this might be the perfect middle ground. Just came out last year so not many reviews yet.

It looks like drop-stitch, like a stand up paddle board or some raft floors. I wonder how often you have to top it off and how it deals with changes in altitude and sun exposure. We purge rafts that will be sitting in the sun for a bit and see an inflation change in a raft we take from the river back down to Denver.

A soft topper wouldn't last a year in the Az. sun.
We have a hard topper with sliding windows
and screens. It is a great sleeping space.

Have had a hard topper for the last 25 years.

Can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would even consider a soft topper.

Have had a hard topper for the last 25 years.

Can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would even consider a soft topper.

Lots of people haul things taller than a topper. Looked at one for our 1ton pickup. Today it could be pulling one of our goose neck trailers. Tomorrow it could be going across the state to the in laws so it would be nice to keep things dry on the drive and not take the extra time of removing a topper by myself and then storing it somewhere

Last edited:
I had a hard top in 2016 and sold it for a soft top. Here's why:

In late 2015, I bought a nice Snugtop that I had assumed I would have forever. Spent like 2K on it too, felt like an investment at the time but I just ended up hating it. In early 2016, I bought a piece of furniture that wouldn't fit in the truck, so I ended up having to rent a different truck to get the piece home. It really irritated me that I spend all this extra money on gas and tires etc and still had to rent a vehicle to move something big. I lived alone, so I decided to get a friend over to help me take the topper off, and I would use the topper only when I needed it. I misjudged the strength of the friend, and he dropped his corner of the topper and wrecked it a bit. I sold it not long after but don't get me wrong - that snugtop was a great topper. No leaks, side windows, lights, everything. Just really cumbersome and not what I needed.

Later in 2016 I bought a softopper from a guy on the tacomaworld forum for about $300 and it was exactly what I needed. It takes 15 minutes to take on and by myself. It stores small enough that it hangs on a wall in my garage instead of taking up an entire car bay. And I can use my truck as a truck when I want - I can have gravel dumped in when I need it, and have it ready to go camping 20 minutes later. 99% leak free. It might get a drip every now and again, but I've never had to chase leaks in it. Sometimes a really heavy rain will have a wet edge near where it clamps on. That's about it.

The drawbacks and annoyances -
First - In the winter it gets tent cold since there's no real insulation besides a wind break. High winds don't bother me sleeping neither, since I sleep through anything, but maybe it can be bad for others. In the summer, at least out west, it's too hot to sleep in. Just get a tent. Second - Every time I take it on and off, some of the buttons/rivets will break. I always have to replace at least some of them literally every time. Third - There's no real security on it. I bypassed this problem with a plywood drawer that I built for it. It comes all the way up to the tailgate, and I have a lock installed on the gate. I sleep on top of the box (coffin) and keep gear inside the drawer. Haven't had a problem yet.

I've been happy with the softopper but I see why some wouldn't be. Everyone has a different context and I just thought I'd offer mine. Good luck OP

I like the slide out box for security

I’ve been really considering one of these. I frequently haul dirt bikes and other tall things but have been wanting a topper to sleep in while hunting. I don’t have room to store a hard shell off the truck so have been looking at soft ones. But I think this might be the perfect middle ground. Just came out last year so not many reviews yet.

I've been curious about these as well. Almost seems like it's similar in construction to a paddle board.

If you can find it a used hard top is the way to go. I found one for my Ford F-150 for $275. It’s not a perfect fit but close. A new topper would have been $1800 minimum

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back