Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

To scope or not?

To put my scope back on or leave the scope off of my muzzleloader for the late muzzleloader season?

• Put the scope back on the muzzleloader.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Leave the scope off of the muzzleloader.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Quit being a tightwad and just buy another muzzleloader to leave scoped.

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

Gellar

Our late muzzleloader season starts on Dec20 and goes through Jan 10. I haven’t had my scope on my muzzleloader for 3 years as I’ve drawn Elk tags in areas that don’t allow scopes each of those years. I currently have truglo ghost ring sights on the gun and I am comfortable out to 100 yards with it. The biggest advantage putting a scope on would be in low light conditions. I wouldn’t shoot past 100 yards even with a scope. My scope is a Nikon Omega scope specifically for muzzleloaders and it just needs to be tightened on and shot. It shouldn’t be that big of a deal to get it back on. I had not planned on putting the scope back on until this afternoon. I plan on attempting to draw another elk tag this year and if successful I’d have to take it off again.

I am seeking your advice on what to do.

Well one things for sure if you put it back on your gonna draw the elk tag and vice versa. I would probably put it on for the low light conditions like you said or try to pick up a used spare. Used muzzleloaders seem like they don't hold there value all that well. Bought my stepson a tc impact like three years ago for around $200 new on gunbroker if all you want to shoot is 100 yards it'll definitely fit the bill for cheap.

Last edited:
Unless you have vision problems why would you want or need a scope in Iowa? Keep it simple and go with irons.

Well one things for sure if you put it back on your gonna draw the elk tag and vice versa. I would probably put it on for the low light conditions like you said or try to pick up a used spare. Used muzzleloaders seem like they don't hold there value all that well. Bought my stepson a tc impact like three years ago for around $200 new on gunbroker if all you want to shoot is 100 yards it'll definitely fit the bill for cheap.
I just went to the gun shop in town. He has a few CVA optima's and a TC bone collector. I may be the owner of a new muzzleloader shortly.

Good choice Gellar. Stick with the rifle and load you are familiar with and confident in.

For what it is worth I use Leupold QR rings and bases on my TC muzzleloader and can remove it and put it back on with 0 change in bullet impact. I use it for elk hunting where scopes are not allowed.

For what it is worth I use Leupold QR rings and bases on my TC muzzleloader and can remove it and put it back on with 0 change in bullet impact. I use it for elk hunting where scopes are not allowed.
When I took the scope off I left the scope and rings and base together as much as possible with that hope. I scratched the ghost ring where it needs to be set so I can put it right on and I just left the front sight on. I won’t be able to shoot it today we are expecting 60-70 mph wind gusts.

When I took the scope off I left the scope and rings and base together as much as possible with that hope. I scratched the ghost ring where it needs to be set so I can put it right on and I just left the front sight on. I won’t be able to shoot it today we are expecting 60-70 mph wind gusts.
This wind is going to be no joke.

Yes, and I’m on a 6 hour road trip for a 3 hour meeting.
I have a meeting every other week that I drive 4 hours 1 way for. The meeting usually lasts 45 mins. So that's fun! It never fails that I'm always driving into the wind both ways.

Back