MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

To scope or not?

To put my scope back on or leave the scope off of my muzzleloader for the late muzzleloader season?

• Put the scope back on the muzzleloader.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Leave the scope off of the muzzleloader.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Quit being a tightwad and just buy another muzzleloader to leave scoped.

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

Gellar

Our late muzzleloader season starts on Dec20 and goes through Jan 10. I haven’t had my scope on my muzzleloader for 3 years as I’ve drawn Elk tags in areas that don’t allow scopes each of those years. I currently have truglo ghost ring sights on the gun and I am comfortable out to 100 yards with it. The biggest advantage putting a scope on would be in low light conditions. I wouldn’t shoot past 100 yards even with a scope. My scope is a Nikon Omega scope specifically for muzzleloaders and it just needs to be tightened on and shot. It shouldn’t be that big of a deal to get it back on. I had not planned on putting the scope back on until this afternoon. I plan on attempting to draw another elk tag this year and if successful I’d have to take it off again.

I am seeking your advice on what to do.

Well one things for sure if you put it back on your gonna draw the elk tag and vice versa. I would probably put it on for the low light conditions like you said or try to pick up a used spare. Used muzzleloaders seem like they don't hold there value all that well. Bought my stepson a tc impact like three years ago for around $200 new on gunbroker if all you want to shoot is 100 yards it'll definitely fit the bill for cheap.

Last edited:
Unless you have vision problems why would you want or need a scope in Iowa? Keep it simple and go with irons.

Well one things for sure if you put it back on your gonna draw the elk tag and vice versa. I would probably put it on for the low light conditions like you said or try to pick up a used spare. Used muzzleloaders seem like they don't hold there value all that well. Bought my stepson a tc impact like three years ago for around $200 new on gunbroker if all you want to shoot is 100 yards it'll definitely fit the bill for cheap.
I just went to the gun shop in town. He has a few CVA optima's and a TC bone collector. I may be the owner of a new muzzleloader shortly.

Good choice Gellar. Stick with the rifle and load you are familiar with and confident in.

For what it is worth I use Leupold QR rings and bases on my TC muzzleloader and can remove it and put it back on with 0 change in bullet impact. I use it for elk hunting where scopes are not allowed.

For what it is worth I use Leupold QR rings and bases on my TC muzzleloader and can remove it and put it back on with 0 change in bullet impact. I use it for elk hunting where scopes are not allowed.
When I took the scope off I left the scope and rings and base together as much as possible with that hope. I scratched the ghost ring where it needs to be set so I can put it right on and I just left the front sight on. I won’t be able to shoot it today we are expecting 60-70 mph wind gusts.

When I took the scope off I left the scope and rings and base together as much as possible with that hope. I scratched the ghost ring where it needs to be set so I can put it right on and I just left the front sight on. I won’t be able to shoot it today we are expecting 60-70 mph wind gusts.
This wind is going to be no joke.

Yes, and I’m on a 6 hour road trip for a 3 hour meeting.
I have a meeting every other week that I drive 4 hours 1 way for. The meeting usually lasts 45 mins. So that's fun! It never fails that I'm always driving into the wind both ways.

Back