Caribou Gear

To fill the freezer...

A lot of us weren’t blessed w the opportunity to have public lands available to us. I was fortunate n blessed in the fact that my family has land and that my grandfather n uncles showed me what it was to hunt/trap/n fish. I remember when I was a child n they would be getting ready to head up to Colorado or Wyoming n it drove me crazy that I couldn’t join.
I never got to experience hunting on public land; other than some local drawings, until I joined the Marines n was stationed in Arizona, I was in heaven!!!
I now hunt regularly on my own in Montana, Colorado, n am applying in Arizona. I will be taking my grandsons as soon as I can.
A cow elk for some maybe like a hog or whitetail doe for me; welcomed, appreciated, used, and fun but for some that cow elk may be a dream, something they’ve only read or watched on tv. So I realize there r plenty of opportunities out there for someone to go get one. But if someone wants to pay a trespass fee or get a guide; go get it n have the time of ur life doing it!!!!

People actually pay trespass fees to hunt cow elk?
Sure they do. If I had added up all the unfilled cow elk tags I've carried around public land when I started out, it would have been a lot cheaper to pay a trespass fee. LOL Would have been a lot more boring and I wouldn't have learned anything either.

I had forgotten all about those. Good tip!

However, it looks like every hunt requires you to hire a guide, and you must use no less than 165 grain bullets regardless of caliber. Drawing was done in March for 2020 hunts.

Thanks for the tip. This is exactly the kind of help I was hoping for. If anyone else knows of other places like this please share. In the meantime, I'll wait for leftover lists to become available. Have a great Friday everyone(y)

Part of me hates to throw this out there but I think you can actually buy an otc cow tag in MT. Will probably be tough hunting without access to private but I’m pretty sure certain units offer otc tags

Back