Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Time for a new barrel..what would you go with?

Yes but I think the 6.5 CM is a 1-8. Was done intentionally I understand for long range shooting.
Yop. That’s how they wrote the saami spec.

NSS and EABCO are the only two I’m aware of that have a stock .260 Remington and AI in 1:8 twist on the shelf.

Otherwise saami has them teamed to 1:10.

I’ve got the .243 Winchester in a 1:8 twist too to chase the 6 creedmoor

A .280 Remington in 1:8 to chase the 7 Remington Mag and 7 PRC. The original saami on it was 1:10 too.

So many of those older cartridges were done before these long bullets were developed and came into existence.

What hurt the .243 and the .280 so horribly.

I'm thinking in terms of using a 140gr bullet at long range.
It does everything better, case is just a hair bigger and will clean up a Creedmoor. You get 2-3 grains more powder capacity.

That’s why when rebarreling it’s a fun cartridge to go with. I used a Lilja 3 groove specifically to shoot copper. With the extra resistance the bullet has in the wider lands, slower powders work well, especially RL26.

I used a long throat to maximize powder capacity to reach the speeds I get. With a normal throat a reloader can use Creedmoor max load data as a starting point.

Obviously, your using the rifle on varmints.
But some missed questions still should be asked.

1) how far do you carry said rifle? While you may use it often, do you regret having to carry it?

2) Is there a different cartridge that you've always wanted, but don't have? Maybe the same parent case, but a different caliber?

3) How far are your realistic, typical shots?

4) Are you thinking double duty for the rifle?
Aka varmints, deer, antelope.

So what was wrong with the barrel you had on it? Sounds like your wanting to change things aa bit from something that wworked to something you hope works better. If it wereme I'd stick with the facroty style 22-250 barrel but am sure I'd get a custom barrel.Only after market barrel I've ever used is Shilen and I love my Shilen barrels. I wouldn't bet something else would not make me happy though. A barrel is a barrel and I believe one is really as good as the next so long as the maker has a good reputation turning out good barrels! In all likelyhood if your looking for a barrel that shoot's tiny groups, go with experience and reputation. Then if you really want that a lot is going to depend on how you load the ammo and shoot. I just wonder how many of us could take a rifle with a barrel shooting .250" groups with an accomplished benchrester and shoot a .250" group with it. I have read in the past where Douglas barrels are simply not that good. Then read where they are! Tell ya what, they must be doing something right, I believe theyare still around! Pick a barrel from a maker that your confortable with and go for it. Opnions are generally worth exactly what you pay for them.
She is "burned out" for lack of a better turm... I am going to rebarrel, but was just kicking around the idea of maybe changing things up a bit. I am not the least bit unhappy with the way it was. Just looking for ideas to ponder. I was always leaning towards keeping it a 22-250. I just wanted some possible ideas that I may not have come up with. Thank you for another vote of confidence! I will post on my decision but it won't be soon!

1) how far do you carry said rifle? While you may use it often, do you regret having to carry it?

2) Is there a different cartridge that you've always wanted, but don't have? Maybe the same parent case, but a different caliber?

It is heavy but here in Indiana shooting yotes and ground hogs it doesn't get carried far so no issue. Prarie dog hunting doesn't go far out west. So no issue.
I expect hits 500 + with the 22-250 on small vermin. The factory barrel did it just fine.
No doesn't have to be double duty...I have a safe full of guns....but open minded.

I highly recommend McGowen barrels regardless of what caliber you decide to go with. I just rebarreled a 30-06 with one of there barrels and I haven’t shot over a 1” group at 100 yet. My best group was .393”.

Far surpasses it. 127 grain at 3150.
You can load a CM to near that. Unloaded case capacities are reasonably close, and loaded case capacities are essentially identical. I’m not convinced that anyone is getting meaningful increases in velocity with a 260 over a CM unless they are loading the .260 well beyond 2.800” and limiting the CM to 2.800”

In the included Nosler data, the 6.5CM is loaded .025” SHORTER than the 260Rem, and yet shows .1gr more H20 capacity. Different. Randy’s of brass would show larger differences than that. Top MV is within 20fps between the two cartridges. The 260Rem, with a custom reamer, can be loaded .116” longer than a 6.5CM, and at that length, offers no meaningful case capacity increase over a 6.5CM loaded .116” shorter, BUT it won’t fit in a normal S/A magazine.

A 260AI does beat a 6.5CM by a little. The CM would gain almost nothing by converting to an AI.

Off topic, but it drives me crazy to read things like “a 6.5CM shouldn’t be used on elk.” Followed by recommendations of a 7-08 with 130-140gr bullets. So you’re saying that roughly the same case capacity, but with a bullet of lower SD and BC is better? Ok.

Attachments

• 31005789-7F43-4F83-8029-90D804C5CC6B.jpeg
    31005789-7F43-4F83-8029-90D804C5CC6B.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 3
  • FA555467-EBF5-4EE7-A0E2-AE7D3E61EE61.jpeg
    FA555467-EBF5-4EE7-A0E2-AE7D3E61EE61.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Bugholes is a great place to get custom barrels without a wait.

I prefer Krieger but all the custom barrel makers make great barrels.

If you liked the 22-250, I wouldn’t hesitate to go back with it.

If you wanted to go 22-250AI, I would recommend having your old barrel rechambered and investing in some tools and the knowledge to remove and install barrels that are already fitted to your action. Fireform in the old barrel to save your new barrel. I would also recommend investing in Lapua brass. There’s no sense in burning a bullet/primer/powder charge to fireform brass that isn’t going to last very many reloads.

If you wanted to do something other than 22-250, a 22x47L and 22CM both have a little more capacity and less body taper. In fact, both have dimensions that are somewhat close to a 22-250AI, but require no fire forming. 6x47L, 6CM, and .243Win will all shoot 55’s at blazing speed like a 22-250, but are generally not throated for light bullets. If you were wanting to go to 6mm and stay in the realm of what a factory 22-250 does, a slow twist 6mm Rem(.244Rem) would probably be just the ticket.

In the end, I’d probably just stick with a 22-250, but might consider a 22x47L.

Last edited:
You can load a CM to near that. Unloaded case capacities are reasonably close, and loaded case capacities are essentially identical. I’m not convinced that anyone is getting meaningful increases in velocity with a 260 over a CM unless they are loading the .260 well beyond 2.800” and limiting the CM to 2.800”

In the included Nosler data, the 6.5CM is loaded .025” SHORTER than the 260Rem, and yet shows .1gr more H20 capacity. Different. Randy’s of brass would show larger differences than that. Top MV is within 20fps between the two cartridges. The 260Rem, with a custom reamer, can be loaded .116” longer than a 6.5CM, and at that length, offers no meaningful case capacity increase over a 6.5CM loaded .116” shorter, BUT it won’t fit in a normal S/A magazine.

A 260AI does beat a 6.5CM by a little. The CM would gain almost nothing by converting to an AI.

Off topic, but it drives me crazy to read things like “a 6.5CM shouldn’t be used on elk.” Followed by recommendations of a 7-08 with 130-140gr bullets. So you’re saying that roughly the same case capacity, but with a bullet of lower SD and BC is better? Ok.
Meaningless comparison using 260 load data, a AI holds 3-4g more powder especially if using a drop tube.

Meaningless comparison using 260 load data, a AI holds 3-4g more powder especially if using a drop tube.
I missed that Don said “AI”. I thought you two were talking about a 260Rem with an 8” twist.

A 260Rem has no advantage over a 6.5CM if you go full custom. A 6.5CM has many advantages over a 260Rem if you go factory. Yes a 260AI will pick up some significant velocity over a 6.5CM, and a 6.5CM-AI would gain almost nothing, while remaining inferior to a 260AI. So yeah, an 8-twist(I prefer 8.5) .260AI is a great cartridge, and even better than a 6.5CM.

The only problem with the 260AI is the 6.5Rob , 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 6.5-284Norma, 6.5x55AI, 6.5Rob-AI, 6.5x57AI, and 6.5 Shehane. And that’s in a non-magnum S/A. 6.5-06 kicks butt too, as do the 6.5 Rem Mag and 6.5PRC. The only cartridge on that list that probably doesn’t match the .260AI is the 6.5Rob(but it doesn’t require fire forming). Six are factory cartridges, and three are fairly popular.

Can a 260AI outperform a 6.5CM. Yes, definitely. My comment was misdirected at a comparison between a 260Rem and 6.5CM. Still, I’m not likely to ever build a 260AI. If I’m going with a wildcat, there are too many better options. If I’m going factory, there are too many better options.

Is there a place for a 260AI? Yes. If you don’t want to do any modifications to your magazine and/or action, and are absolutely bent on a S/A, then the 260AI is better than other non-magnum choices in my opinion. I don’t like a 6.5x55 or 6.5-284 in an unmodified S/A. That said, I don’t believe there are any real advantages to a S/A over a L/A, so I’ll just make the jump.

Last edited:
For my varmint use i use either my Savage Axis II rebarreled in 250 Savage ( i had the barrel on my Stevens 200, but swapped it when i got a 7mm-08 barrel to put back on it.), or my Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts.

Loaded with the Sierra 75gr HP Varmint or 90gr BlitzKing are effective on coyote & smaller.

Most of my shooting is 400 yards or less. But have opportunity for further.
Hunting gaslines opportunity is contact to over 1,500 yards.

Loaded with heavier bullets of proper construction, both cartridges have taken deer.

Can a 260AI outperform a 6.5CM. Yes, definitely. My comment was misdirected at a comparison between a 260Rem and 6.5CM
What difference does the case make…

If you launch out of any of the platforms, :

The same bullet, at the same velocity, with the same twist?

I happen to be set up to run .260 Remington…

I have yet to see a reasonable reason to get a creedmoor or an AI as I’m running the same bullets with the same velocities.

I already own the cases, dies, rifle. Why double my expenses for essentially the same thing. All done when the .260 Remington came out and the AI and CM didn’t even exist.

Goog questions. How far would I carry the rifle. Beginning to end. If the rifle at even 8# is to heavy, I don't really need a lighter rifle, I need excersize!

A different cartridge I've always wanted. Lot to be said for that if you find the rifle is ole dead eye and I use a good bullet. Old O'Conner fan and have never had any use for a 270! Even got one one time but it wasn't the cartridge that sold me but the rifle. Low as I put the 270, I love the 280 Rem. On top of that my only custom wild catt ever is a 6.5x06. Not a lot of difference in the three other than my own comfort level!

How far are my typical shot's? Easy for me. Have always been a subsistance hunter and filling the freezer was paramount to everything! I do not shoot at big game beyond 300yds. In fact I've only done that one time just to say I did it. Pretty bad reason to shoot that far. I suspect the farthest I've shot other than that might go 250 yds, might. I say that as the way I sight n my rifles I never have to use any hold over! Even that 300yd, well 330yds by measurement, shot was a dead on hold on the center of the chest and I hit about 9" below where I'd aimed. It was my 6.5x06. I have a ton of confidence in that rifle but even at that, taking that shot was stupid and childish! You should never take a long shot for no other reason than to see if you could make it! That's what target's are for!

Thinking of double duty. I'd like to say never but in fact years ago I shot a 338 Win Mag at ground squirrels in Montana. I did it to work on getting over the recoil. Should have got rid of the rifle sooner and went back to my 222 Rem. These days all my rifles use only one bullet and the bullet is selected by the target's I'm shooting at. Doubly duty is pretty much out for me but it does have the advantage of getting you practice at shooting the rifle! That can't be under estimated! I'll take the hunting rifle's out in the field and pick out targets of opertunity at much greater ranges than I'd shoot at a big game animal. Called shooting practice and I find being able to hit rocks at greatly extended ranges makes making the 200 yd shot on game just that much easier!

Good bunch of questions!

Last edited:
On benchrest rifles I like Krieger, Hart, and Shilen barrels, but I believe that most of my hunting or varmint rifles have Douglas barrels. I have had excellent results with Douglas and can get the barrels fairly quickly. In benchrest 1/10th of an inch is a very big deal and barrels are retired quickly when they lose their best (maybe 800 rounds or so). That is not usually quite the standard for hunting or varmint control. Of course most internet shooters and their rifles shoot unbelievably great groups consistently. In real life I believe that many barrel makers do a fine job and should suit your purpose for a varmint rig.

Back