Throwing away a bear hide?

That is why I don't pack them out any more! Already enough hides and bear mounts in the house. I will pack one out if someone I know wants it and will actually take care of it but if not the coyotes or other bears make use of them.

Didn’t get any slipping in the eyes or ears? What’d you use to pickle? We did my bear and it turned out Pretty damned OK I worked on it forever too. Let’s just say I’ll be paying a pro for the next…
We used this process:

Like I said it was just a coyote. But no slippage at all.

I shot a smaller one this spring and I am planning on tanning it myself and if it doesn't work out then in the trash it goes.

I’d give ya $40-50 Hang it over my couch.. I know you don’t like me much lol who does? Let’s start over? 😅
Having never met you - why do you think I don’t like you? Also these bears are not big , but tanning cost maybe 180-200 each so I’m not ready to give them away for $50 yet. Who wants a small (sow) bear hide anyway? Skulls included and not much bigger than a large coyote..

Having never met you - why do you think I don’t like you? Also these bears are not big , but tanning cost maybe 180-200 each so I’m not ready to give them away for $50 yet. Who wants a small (sow) bear hide anyway? Skulls included and not much bigger than a large coyote..
Hey, you said they’re in a tote collecting dust and you said you were ready to be rid of them, but who’d buy em? If you’d rather stow them or toss them and not take $50 for one then that is your prerogative!

Lets just say first impressions mean something…

You can keep the skull. My offer stands. I’m in Belgrade Mr Greenhorn I can meet your personally. Maybe if we get along swimmingly we can talk bridger elk hunting as somebody had jokingly suggested in the past.. 😂

Or since I said that you and the other two… can be really mean to people; you can get your licks in… I’m hoping we’re past that now…

Good luck op! If I hadn’t already tried my hand at the art, I’d say I’d take one. My apologies for derailment

Hey, you said they’re in a tote collecting dust and you said you were ready to be rid of them, but who’d buy em? If you’d rather stow them or toss them and not take $50 for one then that is your prerogative!

Lets just say first impressions mean something…

You can keep the skull. My offer stands. I’m in Belgrade Mr Greenhorn I can meet your personally. Maybe if we get along swimmingly we can talk bridger elk hunting as somebody had jokingly suggested in the past.. 😂

Or since I said that you and the other two… can be really mean to people; you can get your licks in… I’m hoping we’re past that now…

Good luck op! If I hadn’t already tried my hand at the art, I’d say I’d take one. My apologies for derailment
I have no idea what you’re referring to. I’m “mean” to so many hunttalks that I could no way ever remember. But no - not ready to actually give away my dinky sow hides yet. No false advertising intended.

Alternative idea....If you like leather goods, talk to a leather worker who might like to use a bear hide in a project. GIVE him the hides , let him deal with getting them tanned, and perhaps he will GIVE you a credit towards a future leather projects. That way no money changes hands.

It truly is a shame that there are so many laws and regulations about trading, selling hides and furs.

It's not easy come. Why would you say that?
Because I don't swoon over every animal trophy part I have. I've sold 18 of 20 elk racks. All but one moose rack is now dog chews, gave a bear hide away, gave my last 3 caribou racks to my dogs to chew on. 1000s of pounds of shed antlers sent down the road, etc. Easy come easy go is obviously dependent on how you feel.

No one will care about 95% of my "trophies" when I'm gone, if that. They'll be bought and sold like a commodity with no one really caring one way or the other where it came from or the effort. Really makes me question why I even take them, let alone spend $1000s on taxidermy, other than for my own satisfaction. Some people are so attached to things for personal reasons. I'm always dumbfounded by the guys with mounds of sheds. That they have zero personal attachment other than stumbling on to them in the woods. It's as valuable as a cool rock I stumble on. YMMV

Because I don't swoon over every animal trophy part I have. I've sold 18 of 20 elk racks. All but one moose rack is now dog chews, gave a bear hide away, gave my last 3 caribou racks to my dogs to chew on. 1000s of pounds of shed antlers sent down the road, etc. Easy come easy go is obviously dependent on how you feel.

No one will care about 95% of my "trophies" when I'm gone, if that. They'll be bought and sold like a commodity with no one really caring one way or the other where it came from or the effort. Really makes me question why I even take them, let alone spend $1000s on taxidermy, other than for my own satisfaction. Some people are so attached to things for personal reasons. I'm always dumbfounded by the guys with mounds of sheds. That they have zero personal attachment other than stumbling on to them in the woods. It's as valuable as a cool rock I stumble on. YMMV
😉👏😊

I very rarely pack the hide out anymore, unless it's something extra ordinary like last years fall bear. I kept too many at first and ended up losing them when the business that I had them stored at burned down. I always keep the skull and we enjoy the meat.

My wife has decided she is going to tan the hides herself and then upholster some pieces of furniture with them. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back