Thread for "What is this?"

Sytes

Not often, though occasionally items are found that are hard to identify though this crowd may be able to solve the mystery...

This was in a box of various items at an estate sale.
I imagine it's some form of '60-70's+ receiver cleaner and cartridge removing device if one gets jammed? Maybe Vietnam M14/16 tool?
The portion that looks like a field extraction type tool folds out similar to a swiss knife. The cleaner pivots 180*. No visible markings.

untitled.png

LV8BWIN8KGrumUIBQzNUpg.jpg

Anyone know what this is? All I'll say is I grew up using these two tools more than I care to recall. I'm sure some of the eastern members will know it but not sure it would be familiar with those that grew up out west.

Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• C89747EC-460C-4E51-9CEB-F1B1A8AEA37C.jpeg
    C89747EC-460C-4E51-9CEB-F1B1A8AEA37C.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 26
Not often, though occasionally items are found that are hard to identify though this crowd may be able to solve the mystery...

I imagine it's some form of '60-70's+ receiver cleaner and cartridge removing device if one gets jammed? Maybe Vietnam M14/16 tool?
The portion that looks like a field extraction type tool folds out similar to a swiss knife. The cleaner pivots 180*. No visible markings.

View attachment 122971
@Cav1 you got any idea what this is? I figured with you expertise in military weaponry you might have seen something like it before.

View attachment 122971

I've had these types issued as "cleaning tools".The brush is a "chamber brush". The other two tools (besides the brush) were referred to as "scraper tools", mostly used to get carbon off gas compression tubes (M249,M240B/C). IF one of those tools was intended as an extractor, I would guess M203. I've used ones for MK19, they just didn't look like this and probably wouldn't use the chamber brush.

View attachment 122987

Anyone know what this is? All I'll say is I grew up using these two tools more than I care to recall. I'm sure some of the eastern members will know it but not sure it would be familiar with those that grew up out west.
I think my hands still have blisters from working in those damn tobacco patches.. and I haven’t touched it in 15 years

My son found this down by a pond where an old cabin once stood. I have no clue. Any ideas?
Red fluid inside that you can see through the level sight glass. The bracket has remnants of plastic anchors. The metal fan looking thing is not on a bearing but fixed. Plastic threads on the inlet. And only a single inlet/outlet; the fluid doesn’t come out when turned. Has several of us scratching our heads.
7076BB1A-DF6A-49C6-99CE-FD1981451F6F.jpeg
F6EC4589-6177-4E2D-AFCA-A7741F79B634.jpeg
49A79177-615A-4C93-AAA2-EBC6CDA69F2B.jpeg

Hydraulic fluid reservoir?
Hmmm. Maybe. A reservoir with no fill cap. I wonder what’s keeping the fluid in. Can you have a check/pressure valve that can go either way? I think I am gonna unscrew that end piece and see if I can get a little deeper look.

Back