Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Thoughts on using a military surplus ruck sack as a first pack until I can save up for a high quality/value pack for Western Big Game hunting?

Like most have said already, it'll work. However, I would add to keep it to above freezing temperatures hunts. Those newer frames (read: plastic composite) have a tendency to break in the cold. You should generally be alright, but it is a possibility you should be aware. Additionally, there are a couple companies out there that focus on renting out hunting and/or backpacking equipment. Might be another way to go with a tighter budget and/or test out higher end gear without paying the higher end price. Good luck, and have a great time.

Like most have said already, it'll work. However, I would add to keep it to above freezing temperatures hunts. Those newer frames (read: plastic composite) have a tendency to break in the cold. You should generally be alright, but it is a possibility you should be aware. Additionally, there are a couple companies out there that focus on renting out hunting and/or backpacking equipment. Might be another way to go with a tighter budget and/or test out higher end gear without paying the higher end price. Good luck, and have a great time.
Thank you for the reminder on the hunting and backpack 🎒 gear rental service. 🙏🏻

I packed a moose out with an Alice without problems. I'd take an Alice any day over the army mole piece of shit I was issued. The marine pack is the best of the surplus. My kifaru is better than the cheap cabelas frame I used and better than the surplus packs but its not $800 better.

If I was sticking to a budget I'd get a Alice or marine pack and put my funds toward good boots.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back