PEAX Equipment

This is the Gang that Dubya has managing MY Public Lands

JoseCuervo

2008 can't get here soon enough for hunters and fishermen in the West. Hillary in '08 :D

Transfixed by the demons of Iraq, terrorism and the economy, the national media has paid little attention to the Bush administration's record on the environment. That's just the way the administration likes it: Major policy shifts involving the opening of formerly pristine areas to energy exploration or the weakening of pollution laws tend to be announced late on Friday afternoons or right before major holidays, when they attract as little coverage as possible.
Not since the days of James Watt, Ronald Reagan's famously combative Secretary of the Interior, have so many industry foxes been appointed as stewards of the federal henhouse. But Secretary Norton, who long ago served as lead attorney for Watt's Mountain States Legal Foundation in Denver before becoming Colorado's attorney general, has advantages that her mentor did not, including a much more compliant Congress. With lawmakers' help, she's managed to open up public lands to development interests on a scale that Watt could never have hoped for.

In the Norton era, the staunch political opposition to drilling for oil and gas in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, a freeze-out that lasted 25 years, melts away in a matter of weeks. That's great news, the secretary proclaims -- even though the decision will have no effect on today's soaring gas prices, since commercial production is still at least a decade away and there's no guarantee that the oil companies will sell their spoils in this country, anyway.

In the Norton era, decades of federal protection for wild mustangs get wiped out by an obscure provision in a 3,000-page spending bill that effectively turns thousands of the animals into horseburgers. Now wild horses and burros that are more than ten years old or have struck out on three adoption attempts can be sold "without limitation" to the highest bidder at auction; those bidders are generally dealers representing one of three foreign-owned slaughterhouses in the U.S. that prepare horsemeat for human consumption abroad. It's a win-win deal for everybody but the horses: Grazing interests get thinner herds of the pesky ponies to compete with, and Belgians get a slice of the American West on their breakfast table.

In the Norton era, buzzwords such as "consultation" and "cooperation" mask a top-down approach to partnering with industry, and even seemingly innocuous references to a "cleaner" and "healthier" environment conceal Orwellian doublespeak. Thus, the Healthy Forests Restoration Act gives a giant boost to commercial logging in national forests, all in the name of fighting wildfires. The Clear Skies Initiative vows to reduce smokestack emissions but actually allows twice as much crud in the air as Bill Clinton's plan.

Major policy moves that open up public lands to commercial use are supposed to be based in sound science, not politics. But in the Norton era, staff scientists find that their non-partisan research -- on, say, how many off-road vehicles it takes to squash the desert tortoise population, or the true extent of the Florida panther habitat -- is routinely ignored.

In fact, it is now possible to stroll into a National Park Service bookstore and purchase a work of Bible-based "natural history," explaining that the Grand Canyon is merely 6,000 years old. Religious symbols and Bible verses are receiving more prominent display in the parks, over the protests of local managers and apparently at the instigation of political appointees within the DOI.

The tilt toward industry and "faith-based parks" has been a difficult adjustment for many of the department's field personnel, particularly those engaged in resource protection and public land management. A recent report by the Office of the Inspector General, based on a survey sent to more than 25,000 DOI employees, concluded that there was a "culture of fear" within the department; more than one-quarter of respondents stated that they feared retaliation if they reported problems.

"The grade level of our intake is way up," says PEER's Ruch, referring to the type of whistleblowers within the DOI who contact his organization. "It's gone from range conservationists to field office managers and state directors."

The solicitor's office is one of the most politically charged components of the Department of the Interior, since it offers more political-appointee positions than any other -- including the solicitor, deputy solicitor and six associate solicitors. Under Myers, it became a hotbed of former lobbyists and litigators accustomed to challenging the government's regulatory "excesses" on behalf of grazing associations and mining and energy companies -- the same regulations that they were now sworn to uphold.

One of the stars of the new regime was Robert Comer, associate solicitor for the Division of Land and Water -- a post that oversaw legal matters dealing with the Bureau of Land Management and the Bureau of Reclamation, among other agencies. A Denver attorney who'd worked as a field ecologist, done a previous stint in the regional solicitor's office in Lakewood, represented mining giant Asarco as in-house counsel and served on the board of the Colorado Mining Association, Comer came to Washington with impeccable credentials as a warrior for the cause. There was talk around the office that he was "pretty tight" with then-Deputy Secretary Steven Griles (another former energy lobbyist, now back in the private sector); that he was "going places"; even a rumor that he could be the next director of the BLM.

But judging from the comments of staffers who worked with Comer in Washington and in the regional solicitor's office in Lakewood, he was also disliked in some quarters -- and feared. "He was thought of as someone who could send you to Nebraska," says one insider, who requested anonymity out of concerns about retaliation. "The agenda was clear -- to de-emphasize protection of public lands. People learned to back off rather than push the law."

"He would tell attorneys what conclusion he wanted them to reach, rather than asking their legal opinion," says another. "That's not the way it's supposed to work. His biases were very apparent. They weren't based in the law, and he didn't represent the positions of the agencies he was supposed to represent. Usually, if it was something that favored the feds, it was automatically bad."

Comer was known as a hard worker who often put in long hours. He was also frequently out of the office, observers say -- visiting his family, speaking at conferences or otherwise engaged. But then, Myers was often absent, too. In contrast to the DOI solicitor in the Clinton years, John Leshy, a high-profile scholar who'd literally written the book on public-land regulations (Coggin, Wilkinson and Leshy's Federal Public Land and Resources Law), Myers was an elusive boss.

"It wasn't like Bill was a strong figure, and Bob was carrying out his business," says one source. "There was no one leading the office, and Bob had free rein. He was acting on his own judgment a lot of the time, in my opinion."

Comer was a key player in one of the DOI's most startling policy turnabouts: the decision to settle a dispute with the State of Utah over whether the BLM could continue to make recommendations for wilderness designation of any of its lands. The deal threw out years of wilderness studies and opened up millions of acres of BLM land across the West to possible development -- including Colorado's wildlife-rich Roan Plateau, now targeted for hundreds of natural-gas wells ("Raiding the Roan," January 1, 2004).

The Utah deal outraged environmentalists, since it signaled the end of a process that dated back to the days of Jimmy Carter and had survived the administrations of both Reagan and George Bush the First. But among advocates of greater commercial use of BLM lands, it was hailed as an unequivocal triumph.

Nice to see you keep losing! I certainly hope you send all of your money to Hillary and can't pay your internet access bill. I am now hearing that she is starting to make noise about securing the Mexican border which is exactly what I predicted. Too funny.

Ringer- If you actually like hunting, how is that the habitat where wildlife live is so unimportant to you? I know you must like to hunt and fish or why else would you be on this sight. Even a blind man can see the pendulum of the GWB administration is in the court of anti-environment/ big business. There was an article in the Missoulian (it wasn't online so I couldn't cut and paste) about the Bonneville Power Administration. The article basically said GWB's new energy bill will not only hurt wildlife and habitat but also increase the rates for electricity. It's a great deal for the public, We lose on both ends! I don't know about Hillary in 2008 but I do know GWB is screwing the public and smirking at the results. I believe the sky is falling on public lands in the United States.

Matt,
It doesn't sound like Ringer cares too much about hunting and fishing. Or at least he still needs a bunch of edjumacation to learn that habitat is required for hunting and fishing to take place. My guess is he is just another washed-up hasbeen that doesn't understand what it takes to continue hunting and fishing in the West for our generation and future generations to come. Hopefully that generations of dinasaurs will die soon from heart failure, lung cancer and other assorted Fat-Assed related diseases....

Matt-I have seen and helped care for a lot more than you might think. I am all for preserving and expanding habitat and do all I can to help in that regard. I am not really a Bush fanatic but do like to throw barbs out to people like Hose who just hate the guy. There is a difference in reasonable and prudent protection and having an obvious agenda to control all land both public and private just because a small fringe element wants that to happen.

Sky is Falling Matt,

Do you believe that welfare ranchers should pay the going rate for grazing on federal lands?

Ringworm,

Jose doesn't hate Bush, he voted for him. He's just trying to get The Sky is Falling Matt to open up and tell us what an obstructionist enviro really thinks. I haven't heard Matt mention any hunting related wildlife organization he is involved with. You think he may be in bed with one of those fringe elements you mention? My money says yes.

I like this paragraph:

"decades of federal protection for wild mustangs get wiped out by an obscure provision in a 3,000-page spending bill that effectively turns thousands of the animals into horseburgers. Now wild horses and burros that are more than ten years old or have struck out on three adoption attempts can be sold "without limitation" to the highest bidder at auction; those bidders are generally dealers representing one of three foreign-owned slaughterhouses in the U.S. that prepare horsemeat for human consumption abroad. It's a win-win deal for everybody but the horses:"

Remember Buzzard telling me how you can still get results by writing letters to your Senator? He was right. It's amazing how a few letters to Conehead from the right people can make such a positive difference.

BHR,
Are you pleased with federal protection of animals on public land getting changed in an obsucre provision of a 3000 page spending bill? Would you still be pleased if the animal getting wiped out was a wild sheep?

Ithica,
Actually, I think Ringer still may have some hope for being edjumacated. I just don't think he had ever stopped and put the whole picture together. He just assumed Salmon (or Elk) grew on trees without putting any thought into who plants the trees or where the trees grow. He will be a slow one, but eventually he will be voting for Hillary in 08.

BHR on the other hand has some irrational blocks to being able to learning anything. Keep in mind, the only thing he learned in college was how to kill a 'possum and tie a rope to it.... He also worries about the price of Natural Gas and thinks killing wildsheep in order to protect domestic sheep on public lands is a good idea. He may be beyond edjumacation.

Jose,

You find any ointment for your "condition" yet? I can't help it if the scum bag lawyers have made it next impossible to apply common sense in Washington anymore. Just gotta do what ya gotta do to get results. If you don't like it, go whine to Hillary.

BHR-give me a break! Jose' found that ointment years ago. It's KY jelly, part of every lawyers arsenal. And I would rather eat shit with a spoon than vote for the bitch. Oh, and no I have never eaten it nor am I going to.

Ringer,
Based on Hillary's record in the Senate, what do you find objectionable. Or is this another one of your un-thought comments that you will eventually change?

You dont have public land, you live in Mexico. Stay over there and hunt on your own toxic waste dumping ground south of the border.

She has no record in the Senate. She is keeping a very low profile to prepare for the election and has authored zero legislation. Why are you voting for her? Oh, let me guess, she is an unscrupulous attorney that will do anything to gain power?

Ringer,
As I thought, you have no basis for your opinion and statements and don't allow a lack of facts to slow you down....

WH,
Yes, more so than Bill Frist.
en. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., issued a news release Tuesday calling on the Bush Administration to revise its rule regarding power-plant emissions of mercury.

In a statement before a Democratic Policy Committee hearing into the Mercury Pollution Rule, Clinton noted that expanded warnings against consumption of fish from the Adirondacks and the Catskills were additional proof that the administration must revise the rule immediately, not just in the interests of the environment but in the interests of public health.

"There is no dispute that emissions of mercury from power plants and other sources are contaminating our food and putting children and families at risk," Clinton said. "The Department of Health’s new warning is further evidence that we must have tougher mercury controls in place to stop this poison from getting into our environment and our food."

The Clean Air Mercury Rule, which will significantly reduce mercury emissions from coal-fired power plants across the country, was signed March 15, according to a news release issued by the Environmental Protection Agency.

The rule will require mercury emission reductions at electric utilities.

The rule limits mercury emissions from new and existing coal-fired power plants, and creates a market-based cap-and-trade program that will permanently cap utility mercury emissions in two phases: The first phase cap is 38 tons beginning in 2010, with a final cap set at 15 tons beginning in 2018.

Hose-can you do better than quoting a comment from your gal? Maybe copy and paste a list of legislation that she either sponsored or co-sponsored? She also made a comment supporting controlling the border and illegal immigration. Bet she will make a comment about every key issue that appeals to national voters until the election. Joke.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back