Yeti GOBOX Collection

Third post

camotruck

is this thing working or am I just waisting my time

Looks like It's working so I wish I had called it what it is ... Guy needs help with DIY Wilderness Elk hunt

Last edited:
I need help. My Cuz asked me to go on a DIY wilderness elk hunt in the mountians of northern Idaho in October. This will be a pack it in, hunt for a week, pack it out. Four or five guys. Lets pretend I have nothing. I'm new here but have been a life member of NAHC since 1996 am an Eastern flatlander with good turkey hunting skills, a white tail bow hunter and a North Dakota Mule deer hunter, with many other hunts in between from Alberta to Texas. I have been camping from an early age but here in the last 20 years it's all been in campgrounds ,My wife doesn't like the idea of a privy and I gave up.

So what do I need, I have some of it allready but want to hear from you guys that have been there done that. And what do I have to look forward too?

Thanks Mike

Last edited:
Welcome Camo:

Your posts are working.

I have not hunted northern Idaho, but have been to that country. It is some rugged stuff. The wilderness areas are even more rugged.

I know some guys on this site from Idaho probably can give you specifics, if you know more of where you are going in. Lots of wilderness in Northern Idaho, so it would be best if they had a better idea of the general location you are thinking about.

Backpack hunting is a blast, but if you shoot something, be prepared for the packing it out to be pretty extreme in that country.

Northern Idaho elk have suffered some serious reductions in numbers, so it will be a hell of a challenge to get a bull. But, sounds like you and your buddies have hunted a lot, so you probably have as good of a chance as anyone.

Wish I knew more about Nothern Idaho elk. Good luck!

lightweight, lightweight, lightweight----this can't be stressed enough

Kifaru or Titanium goat tents & equipment are your friend--I have an 8 man ti-goat tepee and it can handle 4 guys with gear(gear is what you haul in on your back in one trip)--

we eat top ramen & instant oatmeal, coffee or tea or choco milk, jerky, high energy bar for lunch and trail mix..

Katydyn purifier water bottles at least 2--I carry 3 or 4...

katydyn purifier camp water bag...

purified water is your friend--you don't want giardia or any other bug, although giardia won't hinder your hunt, but two weeks later you'll be living next to a toilet...

Schnee's pack boots for me, 2 pr liner socks, 2 pr socks, high perf long underwear, windstopper sweater and light weight insulated silent rain gear is our outer wear(get good stuff)

I'd also get a -30* sleeping bag, as you can always open it up if your hot, or you can get lesser * bag and wear some clothes--your choice

good binos are a must and I'm a fan of 10 power or more, spotting scope and maybe a range finder also....

buy the best equipment you can afford, but going in LIGHT can't be stressed enough---I'd get a GPS also and download the maps of where you are going to be--get a topo map also---

this will get you going in the right direction, but you can also do a search on this site and you will get tons of info--there's different backpacks, tents, sleeping bags, etc...that others will suggest, so you need to do your research and see what works for you---

good luck and have fun.....chris

Thanks Cris this is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Any one else?

For the cooking end of things look into the jetboil. They have lots of options as far as number of guys using it also. Good boots and make sure they are broken in BEFORE you hunt. Good backpack. Some of the sites sponsors would be worth looking into. Get in shape and more shape. Have never hunted Idaho but it is steep and steeper from what I here.

I find some hills in your area or stairs at the local high school football stadium. Believe it or not, going down is harder on your legs than going up, so try walking in reverse, going down stairs slooooowwwwly. Also, make sure you have a plan B and plan C. Nothings worse than spending all your pre-hunt time studying a map of one area, building a plan and finding three camps in the area you thought you'd have to yourself. Assuming early season, the guys are correct, take what you need, and I'd recommend plan on a mid week in a hotel/motel for a night. Even if you have to drive to get there. Fatigue sets in after a couple of days and there goes your mental edge to get up that ridge or over the top. Great Binos are a must. 10X is just right as long as its good glass. I don't carry spotting scope on my back, though great to have if your near camp. Finally, weigh your pack after it's full of everything you plan on taking. Depending on your size and strength, 60Lbs should be close to the max, for a flatlander like me @ 200 lbs and 6'0 tall.

Figure out a better idea of the area (unit would be great) and I can probably get you some good info on area conditions and a better idea of what is in store for you.

titanium eating gear also--there's a kit made by SnowPeak that has a cup that fits inside of a bigger cup that's perfect for food and drink---I have a aluminum teapot(haven't found a titanium one yet that's the size of this aluminum one)---anyway this is perfect for boiling water for food---I use the titanium spork also----chris

I've had occasion in my life to use horses after the fact,(and the second load) when my dad and I both shot the same evening. to get stuff packed out. you might look into any horse type concessions JUST IN CASE you have a need. other than that, my best advice is plan for the worst, and hope for the best, light weight is always your friend.

These guys are right when it comes to going light

If you're a flatlander, one of the best exercises you can work on is jump roping, three sets as many as you can do and no more than 45 seconds apart, 2-3 times a week

You have a couple months to get ready, this will help on your cardiovascular

The next thing I think about when going in cross country besides weight, think of all those things you "REALLY DON'T NEED" and leave them home

It's only a week or so out of your life, you don't need the kitchen sink

For years I used to run 75-80 lb packs, when you got something you had a butt load of "stuff" that was never used to pack back out

I now consistently travel into my hunting areas with about 20-25 lbs for extended 5-10 days

The experience is everything, you can eat steaks and other heavy foods all year long, you won't need as much food as you would think, it takes three weeks to starve to death

One more bit of advice going on what your first post stated, learn a little about survival and taking care of yourself if you get misplaced

There's a lot of country up there and one draw looks just like the next, especially if one gets injured and can't hike out right away to get help

It also rains quite a bit in that area, go prepared to get a little wet, when you get wet and your quite a way from camp, stop, get a fire going, dry out, then continue with your hunt, it doesn't matter if your a little late getting any where

Most people die of the elements when the ambient temps are around 45-50, it's better to come in even the next day alive and well with everyone a little worried than to not come back at all

I always run on the Mind over Matter saying...

"If you don't mind, it don't matter", you can have fun with it, no matter what the scenario, misery is a state of mind, and if you don't let it bother you, you will have a good experience

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back