Yeti GOBOX Collection

Things Can Go South Quick in Cold Water

Nameless Range

1675892097771.png

I suppose one could say the hunters were lacking common sense, but I could see myself doing something similar at earlier points in my life. A deer is down, you have a boat and a shovel and the river is kind of frozen but not entirely, you go for it.

Posting as a reminder that frigid water is no joke, but also to recognize a great local warden I am grateful to know. I believe we need more wardens on the landscape, and though saving lives isn't what you often think of when it comes to their work, they do a lot of good outside of wildlife law as well.

Link to the Facebook post

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago it was -15 here. I wanted to go back and pick up a trail cam and a deer stand I left out. It was about a 2 mile hike to get back there. I considered taking my snowmobile, but wet heavy snow at the beginning of the year made the trails impassable until I get them all cleared. (I cleared 100 yards of trail earlier in the year and it took over an hour with a chainsaw to clear a path wide enough for my snowmobile.)

So I opted to hike back since it's a good way to get out and get some exercise. Long story short, I decided to take a shortcut across a swamp. I trapped about 8 beavers out of it last year and was feeling pretty good about there not being many/any active beaver runs. Well half way across the swamp, I stepped and went through the top layer of snow and fell right into a run. It was only about thigh deep, but it was cold. I scrambled to get out and believe it or not, snowshoes make that significantly harder.

Once I got out, I decided to head to the closest tree line. Only took a couple minutes for my pants to be frozen solid. Thankfully I had gaiters on. I miraculously was only wet from my knees up to my thighs and my one foot had water get in. I got to land, gathered up some sticks, started a fire and dried my one wet foot and wet legs. Merino wool is awesome, really keeps you warm even when it's wet. Got warmed up, mostly dried out, then opted to just turn back at the halfway point instead of continuing on since it was starting to get dark.

That's been my only experience going through the ice. Not fun at all.

Anyone that has any chance of falling through the ice needs to watch this video. Once your out your problems are not over but at least you have a better chance.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back