Caribou Gear

Theron Wapiti

spook12

I got a pair of Theron Wapiti 10x42 LT from shmalts about a week ago and I thought I would Post up a few thoughts about them.
First off I am by no means an optics expert. Like many of you that have hunted for awhile,I have some pretty ingrained ideas about most brands of gear and what kind of performance to expect relative to brand and price point. So with that disclaimer out of the way....here goes.
When I bought them the plan was to give them to my oldest daughters husband who had recently started a new job that required him to have a pair of Binos,and had been borrowing a set of mine. Thats not gonna happen,after messing around with them for a few days I'm blown away. At $150 they are far superior to binos that cost two or three times as much just a few years ago.
I'm not suggesting that these binos are the glass to take on a hunt that requires a lot of glassing but I think they have a place in the rotation. My plan is they will stay in the truck all the time and will go with me on those hunts that I spend very little time behind and more time carrying glass. The thought of having a piece of equipment that can do the job and doesn't have to babied appeals to me.
If you're hunting sheep or goats where inches count this is not the glass for that but if you are chasing Turkeys or Elk in the timber,whitetail from a stand and using glass for just a few minutes a day these would serve you well.
Oh,spent about 30 or 40 minutes visiting with schmalts on the phone, straight up nice guy who can expect my business in the future.

Last edited:
Back