PEAX Equipment

The Wild Kitchen: Elk Carpaccio Salad

Hummer

Last night we prepared Elk Carpaccio Salad, adapted from a recipe in the recent issue of Bugle.

Starting with thin slices of partially frozen raw elk sirloin, several drops of truffle oil, and shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on toasted bread, it is topped with microgreens, steamed asparagus shoots and finished with a lemon olive oil dressing with fine shallots, minced garlic, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Simple and delicious.

The wines were a 2010 Apricot-Chenin Blanc and a 2013 sparkling Gewurztraminer-Riesling blend from my home winery.

Pura Vida! :cool:

Yes I admit I'm not one to go for "gourmet" food. I don't go to restaurants that make food look like art and come in several courses of 2 bite plates. I'm not a wine drinker.
I'm a very simple meat and potatoes type of person.
That being said, your meal looks looks it came from a 5 star restaurant and is beautiful.

I'm game! I like my meat on the raw side anyway so I'll have to try this out. The whole plate would have to be just 1 serving for me though

My only question is...don't you pair carpaccio with a red?

Man, I always say I will try anything once, but I assume I would likely throw my hat into the "cooked meat" corner on this one, also. But I do have to admit that it looks awesome!

Yes I admit I'm not one to go for "gourmet" food. I don't go to restaurants that make food look like art and come in several courses of 2 bite plates. I'm not a wine drinker.
I'm a very simple meat and potatoes type of person.
That being said, your meal looks looks it came from a 5 star restaurant and is beautiful.

Thanks. We enjoy simple meat and potatoes meals too, especially when I'm cooking. But Mrs. Hummer is a superb chef who relishes contrasting food combinations and artful presentations which I happily scarf up.

I'm game! I like my meat on the raw side anyway so I'll have to try this out. The whole plate would have to be just 1 serving for me though

My only question is...don't you pair carpaccio with a red?

Like sashimi and poke, raw meats are tasty and easily digestible. Of course, it's key to start with the freshest quality product. Fwiw, we liked the first plate so well we prepared a second, which was filling enough.

For wine my first choice was our 2012 Cabernet Franc or the Cab Sauv-Cab Franc blend, which would have been perfect for unadorned raw meat. But the fruity Apricot-Chenin Blanc was already open and the spicy sparkling Gewurzt complimented the tart lemon oil dressing as the carpaccio was prepared as a salad.

I would have paired with mineral driven rose, but that's just me. :p

Seriously though, looks fantastic.

It's all good, man! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back