The stand at paxton county.

Hilljackoutlaw

This is wild to me that it's a true story. Just solidifies to me even more that if the word activist is attached to it then it's more than likely corrupt in some way. Sad but I really believe it.

And I hate to lump all of them together but this stuff happens all the time in some way shape or form in all sorts of organizations for profit or non profit. Which is why I'm not a due paying member of absolutely anything. Nefarious people everywhere!

There is a nice 150-acre property for sale near here for a fraction of what it really should be worth and it's been on the market for over a year. My buddy tried to buy it and learned that the problem is the elderly owners were talked into enrolling it in a private conservation trust based on the East Coast, by their very progressive kids, who told the owners that this is what people do to save their property from future development. My friend met with the board of the trust to determine if he could build a new barn for his wife's 3 horses, after the owners told him he'd have to get permission from the managing trust to do anything on the land. Long story very, very short, the trust folks actually admitted to him that the end goal of the organization was to strangle properties in the name of conservation so badly that the property becomes unsellable, and in the end the frustrated owners will eventually take the loss and donate the land to the trust. He asked to make a copy of the legal documentation related to the land so he could have his attorney go over it before he considered writing an offer, they declined.

There is a nice 150-acre property for sale near here for a fraction of what it really should be worth and it's been on the market for over a year. My buddy tried to buy it and learned that the problem is the elderly owners were talked into enrolling it in a private conservation trust based on the East Coast, by their very progressive kids, who told the owners that this is what people do to save their property from future development. My friend met with the board of the trust to determine if he could build a new barn for his wife's 3 horses, after the owners told him he'd have to get permission from the managing trust to do anything on the land. Long story very, very short, the trust folks actually admitted to him that the end goal of the organization was to strangle properties in the name of conservation so badly that the property becomes unsellable, and in the end the frustrated owners will eventually take the loss and donate the land to the trust. He asked to make a copy of the legal documentation related to the land so he could have his attorney go over it before he considered writing an offer, they declined.

I think in general, conservation easements are good things but when they blatantly say that they are doing it to cripple the owners it should illegal. Not to mention it gives every other legitimate agency that would like to purchase easements are terrible rep.

I think in general, conservation easements are good things but when they blatantly say that they are doing it to cripple the owners it should illegal. Not to mention it gives every other legitimate agency that would like to purchase easements are terrible rep.

The sellers, who are in their 80s, admitted to my friend that they allowed their activist children to steer them into the trust without doing their due diligence. They shouldered the blame and said nobody forced them to sign the paperwork. He said they seem like really nice people, I feel terrible for them...On another note, the proceeds from the property sale apparently constituted most of the inheritance the heirs could expect to receive, and now they will likely get nothing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back