PEAX Equipment

The Rut Is On!

WestKyHunt

Wish the audio was a little better. He was grunting right before he took off running.

I have called in 3 seperate bucks in the last week, including a monster that stopped at 10yd behind a tree then winded me.
Was full draw on another, but he was on a mission to find his mysterious challenger

It is a windy one, this morning. Decided to switch things up and overlook a small hidden corner of a field.
I look over my left shoulder and there is a deer standing no more than 10ft away from me.
We have a brief stare off before I decide I'm going to try and video this.
He knew something wasn't right with the situation, but my doe in heat lure was playing with his young brain.
After the second video he lowered his tail and just walked away.

He better get smart in the next few years or he'll be in someone's freezer

I love shooting video of animals when I'm in the stand. I have some footage on my phone of a buck from Nov. 5th that came in grunting and feeding. It's fun to shoot a video when you're not planning on harvesting the critter. I'd like to get in to self filming some of my hunts. I used to but need to get the equipment back out!

I love shooting video of animals when I'm in the stand. I have some footage on my phone of a buck from Nov. 5th that came in grunting and feeding. It's fun to shoot a video when you're not planning on harvesting the critter. I'd like to get in to self filming some of my hunts. I used to but need to get the equipment back out!
Same here!
I'm lucky enough to be picky on what I kill this year, so I've taken to video what I can.

I would love to have a fancy camera on a movable arm but it just isn't in the cards currently

Same here!
I'm lucky enough to be picky on what I kill this year, so I've taken to video what I can.

I would love to have a fancy camera on a movable arm but it just isn't in the cards currently
Agreed. A fancy camera arm would be cool, but I have to commit further before I'm going to spend any money!

I usually shoot 1 deer a year for meat, then just hunt the rest of the year. I don't want my hunting season to be over so I wait for a biggin. Some people call it trophy hunting, but I just enjoy hunting so I don't shoot just to fill my tags. I hunt because I enjoy being out and enjoying the woods. I'm not just looking to shoot things. So catching some interactions on camera is always fun, and fun to share!

Got out this morning before work with the hopes that last night's cold front would have the deer up on there feet this morning.

An hour and a half goes by with no action. Not even the chunky fox squirrel was stiring....

Finally close to 745am I catch movement in a small CRP field 80yd across from me... just a little forky that runs around like he owns the place. I see him about every other hunt and catch him on my trail camera often.
My spirits are lifted. Thus far I have seen at least one deer every hunt, I was beginning to think that streak might be broken.
My focus is now on the CRP field, most of the deer seen from this particular stand come from there anyhow.

8am rolls around. I only have about 45min left before I have to get down and walk the half mile back to the truck. Suddenly I catch movement again.
Looks to be a doe, we all know how this goes. She is not alone.
Dang, looks like another smaller buck.

I keep watching to see where they go.
Appears they are going to the field edge behind me. I stand up and get my binos up.
1 doe pops out. Then another. And another.
Where in the hell did the come from?

Then I notice the typical stance of a buck trailing a doe. He looks a little better than I originally thought. I hope he'll step out in the field to offer a better look. (It should be noted the bucks at this property are extremely leary of going into the open bean fields)
He finally does. He's atleast half inch wider than his ears. Pretty tall too.
I let out some contact grunts, followed by a longer aggressive grunt. His attention is now shifted to this unknown challenger.
I get the gun up on him. The contemplation begins.
He is bigger than other bucks I've killed, but he isn't the biggest I've seen on camera this year.
The antlers are on the thinner side and he only has 7 actual points. One appears either small or broken off.
He charges down the field edge, closer and closer to me until he is only 50 yards away.

He catches my scent and the contemplation is over.
He goes back to find his doe's.

I hope this decision doesn't come back to haunt me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back