Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The perfect rifle almost.

Scott85

So a couple of years ago while looking to buy a new deer rifle and picking a caliber that is unusual or hard to come by. I first settled on a T/C Pro Hunter in 280. Well I fell in love with the round the rifle and I were never as one. I knew I wanted to keep my next rifle in 280 I set out to find a rifle. I found a Remington 700 Mountain rifle and it fit the bill of everything I wanted, it took some saving but I was able to order the rifle right before deer season in Virginia. Wish sometimes that I would have found a left handed rifle to fit my needs but the Remington can't help that. So here I am looking for a new rifle cambered in some unusual or unique caliber and I can't find anything out there that my 280 can't do. I don't make shots longer than 300 yards so the 280 is able to harvest anything in North America that I want to chase. So here is to the 280!

Shootersproshop.com has free shipping over, I think, $99. Order a bunch of 160 grain Partitions and be done with it.

280 is a fine do-it-all cartridge. As are the parent cartridge 30-06, and sister cartridge 270 win. Can't really go wrong with any of them when loaded correctly for the task at hand.

I found/purchased a previously enjoyed Ruger 77 MKII in 280.
Really like the rifle and cartridge. My first black bear hunt last year, was a little nervous, but didn't feel undergunned. (My normal walk around rifle is a Stevens 200 re-barreled to 250 Savage)
Note there were several 400lb, a 500lb and a 600lb bear taken in the area i hunted.

Last weekend i ran accross a Forbes 24B in 280 Rem.
Saving up to put on lay a way.

Will be a huge difference from the 10lb Mauser i built in 284 Win.

Right now shooting the 150gr ABLR.
I'm going to try the 135gr Cutting Edge ER Raptor.

Did that rifle come with the nice layer of Remington rust out of the box? haha

I kid, nice rifle.

280 Remington - hard to beat! The mountain rifle is a great rifle too. It carries nice and shoots great. One thing I did learn with it is with the light weight from the bench it is critical to use good form with each shot to be able to shoot good groups. My rifle liked IMR4350 and H4831SC with 140 gr. Nosler Partitions or Accubonds. Either of those or the 140 gr. E-tip will kill anything you want to hunt with that rifle. I shot a lot of antelope, deer, and elk with it including my largest 6x6 bull.

I no longer have the mountain rifle because I really wanted a 280 with a 24" barrel and I do like me some Winchester Model 70 controlled round feed rifles so I had a custom rifle built with that action and chambered it in the 280 AI. Love it!

280 Remington - hard to beat! The mountain rifle is a great rifle too. It carries nice and shoots great. One thing I did learn with it is with the light weight from the bench it is critical to use good form with each shot to be able to shoot good groups. My rifle liked IMR4350 and H4831SC with 140 gr. Nosler Partitions or Accubonds. Either of those or the 140 gr. E-tip will kill anything you want to hunt with that rifle. I shot a lot of antelope, deer, and elk with it including my largest 6x6 bull.

I no longer have the mountain rifle because I really wanted a 280 with a 24" barrel and I do like me some Winchester Model 70 controlled round feed rifles so I had a custom rifle built with that action and chambered it in the 280 AI. Love it!

I will remember that, Thank you. If I ever upgrade it will be for a custom rifle in the 6 pound range with a 24" barrel as well and I would go AI just because. But next time I'm going to make sure its left handed.

Not sure why, but mine does NOT like E Tips. I tried them with SuperPerformance, RL19, and RL16. Anything under 1.75" was an anomaly. I didn't try 4831, as I figured at that point the rifle just flat didn't like that bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back