The final piece - 7x57AI dies

VikingsGuy

OK - so barrel coming in a few months - brass in hand - now I just need to find dies for my 7x57AI build. I have used most of the major brands and have typically used mainstream cartridges so never had a problem finding what I wanted - even 280AI was readily found at my local shop. But now in a covid world I am trying to find a 7x57AI die set - any thoughts? Do I have to custom order? If so from whom? Thanks!

Any shop should make custom dies for you in this cartridge. I'd call whomever you like the most & check out lead times. Ch4D dies are well made, IMO and I use them for a lot of esoteric cartridges with great success.

I just got a shipping notification on a barrel I ordered 8 months ago.
About to put in another order for a couple more blanks. I hate waiting....
Gun stuff is about the only part of the modern economy that requires a tolerance for delayed gratification. (cue @noharleyyet double entendre meme)

I’m very impressed that you found Redding dies for it so quickly! 280AI is a standardized cartridge in Redding’s lowest price group. 7x57AI has to be a rare bird. Congrats!

During the gun parts and reloading blight of ‘21 I have been surprisingly lucky for this build (assume the barrel stays on track).

During the gun parts and reloading blight of ‘21 I have been surprisingly lucky for this build (assume the barrel stays on track).
7x57AI dies are not in high demand, and neither is 7x57 or 8x57 brass, especially premium brass. Finding it available at a retailer at the time that you want it is unusual at any time. I think the reason that you found it in spite of the ‘21 rush on ammo and components is really just a result of their lack of popularity.

I recently snagged 200 Lapua 8x57 that just showed up today. :) I can’t help myself. I’m building 6.5-257AI number three, and although I have plenty of RWS and Winchester brass, I intend to hot rod the crap out of this one(I just want to match the other one with a shorter barrel).

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back