The Deeper Value of Tracking Animals, Reading Game Sign and Hunting on Uneven Land

Mustangs Rule

My beginning post is over the 1000-character limit, so I will send it as a first response, Hope it works.

Typically, a topic will grab my attention and away I go. Kinda like when I pick up a trail of some animal and begin following it for hours or even days.

My all-time favorite hunts have been desert wilderness tracking hunts for what are called “Burro Mule Deer”. They got that name from extra-large thin, but wide ears that really act like radiators to help reduce their body heat. Quite the opposite of my mustang mare’s smaller thick super furry frostbite proof ears. A hummingbird could nest in them.

My desert deer tracking hunts went on for hours even days. Often at dark I would just go to sleep, “Si-Wash”, like a savage without a sleeping bag or tent, right there on the trail let my shivering warm me and begin my tracking hunt again at dawn.

Anyway, what I have had on my 74 year old mind lately is how not to lose my 74 year old mind as I age through either dementia or Alzheimer disease.

America by the way is # 8 in the world for this.

The countries which lead the world in Alzheimer disease are either way up north like Finland, Iceland, England, which have cold, mold and thus toxic cyanobacteria issues in their homes, or are countries which just have not been environmentally responsible and are more polluted with residues from petroleum/chemical industries or heavy metals like lead, mercury, iron, aluminum or are loaded with nitrogen fertilizers like the Netherlands (#7). Japan has had a spike now that more people there are eating beef and their iron level has gone way up.

Anyway, all these influences are stuck somewhere between strong correlations but not yet solid causations,,,, for now. So, what can I do in my life now that is proven to help reduce my chances of the loss of my mental capabilities? I learned that I am already doing many of the most important ones.

One is regularly walking on uneven ground. I always knew that doing that was great to keep my hips and lower back toned and loose but now it seems that this type of regularly activity is just what stimulates brain function to improve memory even revive memory.

I have just finished re-reading an article on this subject,,,23 pages of content details from some of the best cognitive physiologists and nuero scientists we have.

Walking on uneven ground triggers deep primal instincts not to fall. In the raw natural world, a sprained ankle could be a death sentence, so while walking on uneven ground, even better when icy, or in snake country, or climbing rocky cliffs our brains become fully activated beyond our 5% conscious level and really did deep into our knowledge about the safety of every step.

The height of this in the animal world, is in “jumping cholla cactus” country in the desert. I have seen dogs immobilized in 5 minutes, (and people too) with balls of cholla cactus spines stuck into their feet. It just does not happen with desert deer.

Imagine the hyper-micro second response awareness for a both a jack rabbit to be running full steam and chased by a coyote and neither gets a cholla cactus spine in their feet.

Wild desert people developed the same survival skills and the more we walk, run and hunt in uneven country, the more we are opening that door via stimulation of our deep memory.

My Mustang mare named Rose is the most sure-footed horse I have ever had.

Next, tracking and reading game sign.

One of I the best things I ever did at 49 years of age was go back to school to become a science educator. I had already earned my bio/biochem degree 30 years earlier, but it was stale. In order to pass the rigorous current subject matter competency exams in science I had to study for four years, while also earning my education degree nights, and still working everyday as a building contractor

That Ed degree required two years of studying how to evaluate media/internet sources for accuracy, studying different modems that children learn in, brain development, child psychology and language cultural diversity, language acquisition plus a whole lot more.

To give you an idea how complex educational issues can be, 94 languages are spoken in the Los Angeles school district and over 100 languages are spoken in the Anchorage Alaska School district.

Just google this info. Comes right up

These challenges are enormous, and I had to face them, especially since my students spoke so many languages and about the age of 7, kids, when they have learned all the words in their native language, the production of neurons will begin to really shut down. By 30 years of age our brains can even begin to shrink. And it keeps getting worse with age.

There simply is no room for new data or new ideas. The best thing to jump start the production of new neurons again at any age is learning a whole new language.

“Group. Inter group, stride, straddle, transverse gallop, roto gallop, side by side trot. f5(4)H5(4) co, cursorial, cloven, metapodial, plantigrade, digitigrade, unguligrades, inter-digital, ungius, subunguis, and a WHOLE LOT MORE.

I began to teach all my students how to track, understand tracking formulas, take measurements, identify dental formulas, and identify plants. We also covered every state science standard in a full tracking program. We identified animal hairs, learned about proteins, fats, carbohydrates, polar and non-polar molecules by studying oils in animal's hairs. We examined exothermic, and endothermic chemical reactions making casts of prints. And a WHOLE LOT MORE.

As a base language I chose a mixture of English and Latin, which I studied in High School. Also, when I had Native American students, ( I taught 5 different tribes in my years as science educator) I had them translate the terms, into a combination of their languages. All students, learned in all languages.

The material was so naturally engaging, and I took them outside so much. When state testing happened, their scores skyrocketed. Most of my students by the way had been labeled underachievers/at risk too.

I offer all this as testament of just how valuable the skills of an active hunter are to our well-being in body brains and spirit. We live in a world where “Sitting is the new Smoking”. Moving through wild country slowly and quietly, with a simple rifle, sleeping on the ground, paying attention to everything near and far, learning all the language of tracking, animals and plants, opens doors that many of us no longer even know we have. Oh. and last winter when there was tons of snow over grass, I did a lot of mouse tracking.

Mustangs Rule

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back