The boy finally tagged one (Update)

sigpros

We have had a long season starting with antelope hunting in Wyoming in October. 2 youth seasons, regular season, doe season and we haven’t seen a deer. Well he was lucky enough to draw a youth managed hunt that the conservation dept puts on for youth. Well last night night we had 4 deer come out well they were out past 250 yards and we’re just feeding. The boy was sighted in and I heard the safety click off. I was watching through the binoculars. Then I heard the safety go back on. He turned to me and said “Dad I’m too excited and shaking. I need a minute to slow my breathing and calm down”. I was very proud of him. After countless hours in the deer woods he finally had a deer out in front of him And he knew not to rush it. Well they fed off and we thought the day was over. When they fed back out at 254 yards. He lined up on the biggest doe who was slightly quartering toward us. Well he made a fantastic shot and down she went. I was very proud of him. We will be back out tonight because his permit allows him 2 deer on this managed hunt.

Well we hunted the same blind this afternoon. We bumped 2 does off the bean field getting in. We didn’t have any action until the end of the day. The boy was super cold and we were getting out of the blind when I turned around and said “Deer in the field son” we got back in and he got set up. There was a big doe right out where he shot 5he on3 yesterday and then two little ones showed up. The buck we seen last night came out moving fast. He looks like a big 6 point and is a really neat rust colored deer. Well the boy couldn’t get on him in time and he went behind a big cedar. The does were still in the field so he says “Dad I’m going to give him 5 minutes to come back out if not I’m going to take the big doe. Then he gets really excited and says dad a big buck is coming it’s huge like a ten point“ well it comes out to the spot where he shot his deer last night. Well we ranged him and he got set and put a great shot on him and his first Big buck is down.

Someone (your kid) has had a great mentor! Really clear thinking and impressive self control.

Congratulations to both of you.

Thank you guys he’s very excited for sure. And he can’t wait to get back to Wyoming chasing Antelope again

Back