The boy finally got one

Chad Gus

My son, (Haydn) has struggled with deer, not seeing them or getting shot opportunities but hitting them. 5 misses in his 3 previous seasons 3 bucks and 2 does. He's killed tons of squirrels countless birds around his uncle's farm a few turkeys and a bear, the kid can shoot, Just not deer for some reason.
Wisconsin has a two day youth rifle season, he was unable to go saturday.(his mom got him tickets to the badger game). I picked him up Sunday mourning from his mom's and headed out to the farm to check cameras and set up the ground blind. We headed out around 4, got settled in and started patiently waiting. Pretty slow afternoon till 630 when a doe came out and fed in the clover field. She was out around 60 yards and he has a doe tag in his pocket. He takes the shot and a clean miss, "dad i put it behind her shoulder and pulled the trigger". After a couple minutes of talking it out, i come to the conclusion he's jerking the trigger instead of squeezing. We sit there a few more minutes when his eyes light up and the words deer,deer,deer come out of his mouth. Sure enough a buck comes out in the same spot the doe did. The whole time we're waiting for this buck to give him a good shot, I'm whispering slowly squeeze the trigger, squeeze the trigger. Boom, the buck jumps and kicks and bolts across the field, "you got him, you got him". We go to where the buck went into the woods, there's no blood and no deer laying there. We leave head back to the farm and get some lights. After about an hour we head back to start looking, we find a couple drops of blood and no deer. I make the decision to come back in the morning.
We head back out at first light the next morning, pick up the trail at last blood. Can't find any more blood, so spread out and walk in the direction be was going. We make it about 150 yards and my buddy yells "there he is, i found him". 20191007_074116.jpg

Whitetail eluded me for two or three seasons, so I know the pain! Glad he was able to connect on one!

Nice! Hopefully he got all the misses out of the way for a while! I know that can be disheartening to anyone, especially a younger hunter.

I was starting to become the MN rendition of the Buckless Yooper. Went on a 9 year dry spell and finally shot a nice doe the last year I was a resident in MN. Congrats to your son! It’s a great monkey to get off your back!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back