“That would be the end of our industry”

I understand the vastness...my point is how hard is it to wake up at 5AM and look at the map and pick what bait pile to go sit by? That's not real tough. It's not like these guides are understanding the terrain and finding hidden funnels or saddles or dried up creek beds or depressions that the deer are using to travel from place to place.
So what people consider to be fair chase is always an interesting to me. I get that much of our ethics is based on the culture we are a part of, but the discrepancies are wildly different.
I wonder though how much of it has to do with availability of resources/terrain and how much is simply history.

Take a county like mine for example it is roughly 380K acres of which 10K are public. Of that public 7000 acres are flooded during the fall for green timber duck hunting. Now we are down to 3000 acres for deer, the farthest you can see on that WMA is one field that you could see 200 yards. Average distance you can see is more like 70 yards. Spot and stalk is simply not an option, you have to learn a different way to hunt. Transitions are much softer, elevation changes of as little as two feet become major. The max elevation change from my favorite farm in any direction for 15 miles is 30 feet, most of it is less than 10 feet of variance. Therefore spot and stalk is almost looked down upon in my area, that's what road hunters do since only a few very wealthy land owners actually have enough continuous land to reliably spot and stalk.

I know guys who who are convinced that western hunting is repulsive. To them its driving around to glassing spots, picking out which animal they want and then simply sneaking up on them into rifle range. It is the laziest form of hunting. I mean you don't have to know the animals that well you just look for them and then go kill them. To them stand archery hunting where you have to predict exactly when and where an animal will be within an 80 yard circle is the real art. Other parts of the country see sitting in the same tree on the edge of a bean field as incredibly lazy, I mean throw out food and the animals show up right? The truth is probably somewhere in between.

They just throw out bails of alfalfa in areas where deer are and go sit by them.

From my experience it is much easier to pull animals into a food plot than a bait pile yet lots of people are ok with hunting food plots or cut ag fields but not baiting. I've never put a in plot that didn't fill up with deer. I've put out tons of bait that rotted because I was off by less than 50 yards. Move the pile and suddenly I couldn't keep it filled. As far a saddles, funnels, dried creek beds etc.. some places just don't really have that. Hunting water tanks seems to be acceptable but they funnel animals way more than a 50 pound bag of corn.

I get that on the surface it seems ugly but unless you are very familiar with the area it may be considerably different in reality than it is at first glance.

For what its worth I have three areas that I will hunt hard this year. A pancake flat ag area that will be 100 percent stand hunting over food plots and travel corridors for deer, a mildly hilly oak area that will be mostly stand hunting based on geography for deer and hogs and a heavily forested old growth national forest with fairly "mountainous terrain",at least for this area, for fall bear and deer doing almost 100 percent spot and stalk. Each area is completely different and if I was forced to use the same tactics on each one I would be successful on only one place. I love them all but just because they don't hunt your way doesn't by default make them less of a hunter than you.

Sometimes I think there are outfitters and hunters that would shoot the last deer in the forest and then shrug it off and go duck hunting.....

After reading some Lewis & Clark memoirs, I actually believe that as well. The numbers of animals they describe in their notes are astonishing.....and they were shot out almost to the point of extinction in a pretty short period of time.

In Wisconsin baiting is banned by county if CWD is found there. Depending on if the location is near a county line it can actually be banned in multiple counties. The way it is going, it will only be a matter of time before banning is banned statewide regardless of legislative action or inaction.

Not surprising on the attitude of the outfitters. A lot of hunters are the same way, solely focused on the here and now with no eye toward the future

These Saskatchewan Outfitters are baiting you too.

Alberta has the same "Boreal Forest" areas where Outfitters consistently book clients for Giant Bush Bucks, and baiting is not allowed.

Are Saskatchewan Outfitters really that less skilled than Alberta Outfitters?

"outfitter, Dean Partridge of Canadian Whitetail Outfitters, said he wouldn’t be able to charge clients without baiting.
“Our success would go from 90 per cent to 10,” he said."

Dean thinks so...

Last edited:
I have a 2 y/o daughter that likes to watch Fancy Nancy. We like to joke that she is sassy, but I don't think that can compare to the amount of sass flying around here lately lol. My big west trip is done this year, but it's a long season ahead still. Some of y'all need to get out in the woods :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have a 2 y/o daughter that likes to watch Fancy Nancy. We like to joke that she is sassy, but I don't think that can compare to the amount of sass flying around here lately lol. My big west trip is done this year, but it's a long season ahead still. Some of y'all need to get out in the woods :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Leaving tomorrow...

"I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It". I substitute the word "do" for "say" when it comes to hunting. As previously mentioned, you aren't going to get the rights back after they are taken.

I made a choice as a kid to never predator hunt. It was obvious to me they reacted to pain differently than prey animals. I made the leap of guessing they probably interpret pain differently as well. That being said I would never imagine thinking that a person should not be able predator hunt. It's all hunting.

Those numbers are something we couldn't deal with in the states. However, no deer harvested from the boreal forest areas (where the baiting occurs) were infected with CWD. I smell an alternative motive underneath that paranoia. I think those outfitters have a legitimate gripe.

Fortunately NM has few migrating herds of elk. They are to the extreme North with the border of Colorado.So far no problems up North yet. Hunters can't take heads or carcasses out of units 34,28,19. As long as they comply it should be contained here.

I’ve been quite curious about actual containment to those three units. As far as I know, NM doesn’t test many deer and elk from outside of those units, and to of TX’s three CWD containment zones directly border NM in units that NM has not detected CWD in. They may be free of CWD, or they may just be lacking data.

I don't find your reply to be entirely accurate but I am not a biologist or medical expert that is qualified to argue those points. The research is there to postulate that it fits the classic definition of an organism:

"Prion proteins can act as infectious agents, spreading disease when transmitted to another organism"

"The concept that transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs) are caused only by proteins has changed the traditional paradigm that disease transmission is due solely to an agent that carries genetic information. The central hypothesis for prion diseases proposes that the conversion of a cellular prion protein (PrPC) into a misfolded, β-sheet-rich isoform (PrPSc) accounts for the development of (TSE). There is substantial evidence that the infectious material consists chiefly of a protein, PrPSc, with no genomic coding material, unlike a virus particle, which has both. However, prions seem to have other partners that chaperone their activities in converting the PrPC into the disease-causing isoform. Nucleic acids (NAs) and glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) are the most probable accomplices of prion conversion. Here, we review the recent experimental approaches that have been employed to characterize the interaction of prion proteins with nucleic acids and glycosaminoglycans. A PrP recognizes many nucleic acids and GAGs with high affinities, and this seems to be related to a pathophysiological role for this interaction. A PrP binds nucleic acids and GAGs with structural selectivity, and some PrP:NA complexes can become proteinase K-resistant, undergoing amyloid oligomerization and conversion to a β-sheet-rich structure. These results are consistent with the hypothesis that endogenous polyanions (such as NAs and GAGs) may accelerate the rate of prion disease progression by acting as scaffolds or lattices that mediate the interaction between PrPC and PrPSc molecules. In addition to a still-possible hypothesis that nucleic acids and GAGs, especially those from the host, may modulate the conversion, the recent structural characterization of the complexes has raised the possibility of developing new diagnostic and therapeutic strategies."

Someone accidentally typed “another organism” instead of “an organism” but that doesn’t make a single non-living protein qualifies as being a unique organism.

Organism- An individual form of life, such as a bacterium, protist, fungus, plant, or animal, composed of a single cell or a complex of cells in which organelles or organs work together to carry out the various processes of life.

A prion is far less than a complete cell, has no organelles, and is neither alive, nor carries out any processes of life.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back