Yeti GOBOX Collection

Thank You Wyoming

Kiwi

A big thank you to the State of Wyoming! I put my 16yo son in for a general elk tag and he drew with 4 points. The youth prices must make this tag one of the best priced tags in the west. This will be my 7th western hunt and the first with my son.

I have now booked flights and a TURO truck. First time not using a rental car company so interested to see how that goes.

I fly into Jackson Hole for 2 weeks, arriving late September and then leave early October. Planning to bow hunt a week then move onto rifle.

If anyone is planning to hunt near Jackson Hole, or anywhere in Western WY, and wants to join up please sent me a PM. I am always interested in discussing hunt swaps. I have done a few of these swaps and they have all been fantastic experiences. I have spots here in New Zealand for tahr, chamois and stag hunting.

Lots to see and do with your son up there if you have any breaks from the hunting. A first day or two of flyfishing or sightseeing could certainly help acclimate to any change in elevation. Enjoy it! Just keep the weapons unloaded, cased, stowed in any national parks to avoid “misunderstandings!”

Sounds like a great adventure for you both.
Have you hunted in bear country before, near Jackson?
Yes, hunted near Jackson twice and also near Cody. Will take all the normal precautions e.g. bear spray, clean camp and keeping my eyes peeled.

Lots to see and do with your son up there if you have any breaks from the hunting. A first day or two of flyfishing or sightseeing could certainly help acclimate to any change in elevation. Enjoy it! Just keep the weapons unloaded, cased, stowed in any national parks to avoid “misunderstandings!”
Thanks for the advice. Good point about avoiding misunderstandings.

A big thank you to the State of Wyoming! I put my 16yo son in for a general elk tag and he drew with 4 points. The youth prices must make this tag one of the best priced tags in the west. This will be my 7th western hunt and the first with my son.

I have now booked flights and a TURO truck. First time not using a rental car company so interested to see how that goes.

I fly into Jackson Hole for 2 weeks, arriving late September and then leave early October. Planning to bow hunt a week then move onto rifle.

If anyone is planning to hunt near Jackson Hole, or anywhere in Western WY, and wants to join up please sent me a PM. I am always interested in discussing hunt swaps. I have done a few of these swaps and they have all been fantastic experiences. I have spots here in New Zealand for tahr, chamois and stag hunting.
I’m hunting Jackson with bow during September.

Enjoy it! Just keep the weapons unloaded, cased, stowed in any national parks to avoid “misunderstandings!”
National Parks abide by state law when it comes to restricting firearms. In Wyoming you can open or conceal carry in the Parks.

National Parks abide by state law when it comes to restricting firearms. In Wyoming you can open or conceal carry in the Parks.
Yes, but a Yellowstone park ranger is likely to have a few questions if he sees someone glassing a herd of elk from a vehicle with a loaded .300 WinMag propped against the console. I think the distinction to be made here is between hunting rifles-- which could give the impression someone is illegally hunting within the park-- and a self-defense handgun.

Yes, but a Yellowstone park ranger is likely to have a few questions if he sees someone glassing a herd of elk from a vehicle with a loaded .300 WinMag propped against the console. I think the distinction to be made here is between hunting rifles-- which could give the impression someone is illegally hunting within the park-- and a self-defense handgun.
I don't think any distinction is made or should be made. Let them ask questions. It is your right to be armed in the Park, plain and simple. I stalked a bison that was on NF though Teton Park with a 300 RUM that had three in the box. No big deal.

Thanks for all the advice. I probably wont make it to Yellowstone, or any national parks, as I normally hunt every day on my western hunt trips. I'm happy hunting 12 days straight.
I’m taking that as you have no plans to hunt in a National Park…

Like I tell my kids just because you have the right and can do something doesn't mean you should or is the best idea to do so.
Personally as far as having a hunting rifle as explained in the one post I wouldn't want to have anything that would make a ranger or warden want to question me, which could lead to more hassle, when it's not an inconvenience just to unload the gun and then reload it when out of the park.

Now personal carry of a pistol for self defense or peace of mind compared to it being unloaded and locked away would make no sense so would have that on my person.
I don't think any distinction is made or should be made. Let them ask questions. It is your right to be armed in the Park, plain and simple. I stalked a bison that was on NF though Teton Park with a 300 RUM that had three in the box. No big deal.

Like I tell my kids just because you have the right and can do something doesn't mean you should or is the best idea to do so.
Personally as far as having a hunting rifle as explained in the one post I wouldn't want to have anything that would make a ranger or warden want to question me, which could lead to more hassle, when it's not an inconvenience just to unload the gun and then reload it when out of the park.

Now personal carry of a pistol for self defense or peace of mind compared to it being unloaded and locked away would make no sense so would have that on my person.
The older I get, the more I cherish my rights. I don't fear a conversation with LE. Let them ask. Besides, who travels with their rifle uncased?

Didn't mean to get off track on this thread. Apologies.

The older I get, the more I cherish my rights. I don't fear a conversation with LE. Let them ask. Besides, who travels with their rifle uncased?

Didn't mean to get off track on this thread. Apologies.
No worries, always good to get different perspectives. A big part of why I enjoy visiting other countries.

Well my planned trip just got way better. I drew a WY antelope tag! In my view, my son and I now have the dream combo of WY elk and antelope tags. Cant wait to spend two weeks in western WY this fall with these tags.

If you are near Cody I rented from a GREAT guy on Turo, twice, 2 different vehicles. It made a huge difference I would strongly recommend him. He is also a hunter. Feel free to email me [email protected]

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back