Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Texas Whitetail hunts

treedagain

Looking for a reasonable hunt for 2022. Wanting a good chance at a 145 or better buck

Any and all info would be appreciated

I've been hunting whitetails here in Texas on my own property for 14 years now and am pretty happy with a few of the bucks I've taken but none have been 145". My largest is a 134"er. To have a good chance at a 145" or better buck you are going to have to either hunt a high fence or pay money for a highly managed large property IMO.

Edwards Plateau area is your best shot, but I agree, you need a high fence or Managed property. If you go further south, you have a shot at some free ranging exotics too if you hunt a low fence ranch.

Hunted just west of San Antonio all my life on family land; pretty decent amount of it also, I know things have changed since people have been “managing” their land more than when I was a kid. Traditionally South of San Antonio is where u would have a better opportunity for a buck over 145. North of San Antonio u have more deer but not as big. On our family land; which has been in the family for over 100yrs there have only been a handful of bucks shot over 145.
Sad to say but for a good chance at a buck 145 or better it takes $$$ or friends w land. Some of the drawing hunts have good opportunities but are hard to draw; Chaparral down south in particular, n hunting leases are usually locked up for generations.
Tis the nature of hunting in Texas, sad but true.
Good luck in ur search

Any outfits anyone could recommend for hunts under $3000? Have had good luck with getting decent sized whitetail here in Colorado, I'm more interested in opportunity and warmer weather. Management hunts?

Any outfits anyone could recommend for hunts under $3000? Have had good luck with getting decent sized whitetail here in Colorado, I'm more interested in opportunity and warmer weather. Management hunts?
You’ll want to try to find a place with MLD tags that needs does killed. Places are usually scrambling January and into February trying to fill those tags.

The buck in my profile pic scored right around 143 and was taken low fence on smaller ranch. You just never know what’s out there, but most of the places around me would charge $3-4k for a buck like that. Crazy. But then I look at guided elk hunt prices…..crazy too.

If you want a 145 or better on low fence you’ll need to go south of San Antonio to up your odds. If you’re willing to hunt a high fence place you can kill a 145+ just about anywhere in the state. Not all high fence places are created equal, some are breeder pen deer mills where they turn bucks out a few days before you shoot them, some are very large acreage where most of the deer on the place never even see a high fence their whole lives. And almost all of the big “low fence” places will have at least some high fence on their borders. I’d be surprised if you can find a 145 -150 class for less than $5k; not sure if that’s reasonable or not.

What are MLD tags?
These are $40 deer here Colorado

Attachments

• A98C0FA7-CAE9-43AE-96E7-60F28F6BB83F.jpeg
    A98C0FA7-CAE9-43AE-96E7-60F28F6BB83F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • FB368FE6-EBA8-47C1-BA15-02FE110053C8.jpeg
    FB368FE6-EBA8-47C1-BA15-02FE110053C8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
What are MLD tags?
These are $40 deer here Colorado
Managed Lands, it’s a program that some ranches sign up for and the state issues them a certain number of tags based on deer numbers on said land.

Honestly, if you’re killing deer like that at home for $40 I wouldn’t bother coming here for smaller deer and more money.

I can kill five deer in my county but it would take 2-3 to yield the same meat as a northern or western deer.

Managed Lands, it’s a program that some ranches sign up for and the state issues them a certain number of tags based on deer numbers on said land.

Honestly, if you’re killing deer like that at home for $40 I wouldn’t bother coming here for smaller deer and more money.

I can kill five deer in my county but it would take 2-3 to yield the same meat as a northern or western deer.
Looking for more opportunity to hunt. Texas is close, warmer, and gives me a free license. I get 10 days to hunt here on the east side of the state. That’s a long rifle season for Colorado 🙄

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back