Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Texas controlled hunts

Take a look at this site.

I haven't done anything with them in 7 years or so since my son turned 18, but they used to have a ton of hunts, from deer to dove to exotics and even elk for the youth. Good organization, teaching gun safety and doing hunting.

The TPWD hunts referenced by the OP, is good for drawn hunts, there are some that take many years and then quite a few that you can probably do almost every year. They have # of applicants, number drawn and success rates for last year, so you can get a look at what is possible and what is not probable.

Cool.

I am moving to Texas next week. Looking for hunts for my son...any suggestions?

They have a youth section for the draw hunts that i believe are free to apply for. My kids still to young to hunt so I don't have any knowledge of the youth hunts. You can find all the youth hunts and their draw odds and success rates on the TPW website. I would apply for every hunt you can make work with your schedule especially if free for youths.

Honestly, my suggestion is: Don’t count on drawing one of these hunts. Make other plans for your son. If you draw one, great! Odds aren’t good though.

I have drawn the Exotic rifle hunt, alligator hunt and turkey hunt as non-resident. Have been applying 12 years. Got a decent aoudad on the Exotic hunt. A hurricane canceled the alligator hunt. I did not go on the turkey hunt. Has been worth the cost to me and compared to what I have spent in NV or UT over the past 12 years so TX is not anymore of a flush of money on a hobby that physically beats me up and gives me the best memories year after year compared to most things I do. Plus, Texas is a special place with a lot of history.
Devils River aoudad ram.jpeg

Nada for the boy or me.

It is nice when the results are posted by 3:00 pm on the day after the deadline. If Texas can do that, you would think some of these other states could too

Yea, I didn't get drawn for anything either. The archery draws are coming up though, that's what I'm really looking forward to.

Struck out on antelope and alligator (again, for like the bazillionth time). But I completely agree with LopeHunter--at $3 per entry, it doesn't bother me that the odds are low--you can enter every category for the cost of a case of beer and have odds that, in some cases, are only slightly worse than the states that make you buy a license just to apply...

Cool.

I am moving to Texas next week. Looking for hunts for my son...any suggestions?
Check out they're Public nuts/Youth Hunts. They have some good options for the kids. I'll be putting in for my usual hunts here in my home state.

Really hoping I get drawn for an archery hunt this year. I had a blast on the hunt I drew last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back