Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

tell me about chronographs

1badmagnum

bought the shooting chrony beta master chronograph,any experiences using this unit?
how does it compare to pact,oehler etc?
biggrin.gif

I think that is the same as the one I have. It seems to work fine, although I hear that the Oehler is "much better." Mine measures pretty consistently, and it is for my own use and information only - it's not like I make my living writing about guns and ammo. It's main use is to satisfy my curiousity and to make sure my loads are not off the charts. If, for example, I was getting 3700 FPS with a 180 gr from my .300 Weatherby
eek.gif
, I'd know I was loading a tad too hot. (If flattened primers, hard bolt lift, etc. weren't enough!)

I purchased an 8 pound keg of surplus powder and used the $80 savings toward the chrony.just want to be able to see my velocities,to develope /test these powders.
plus if I ever do shoot my chrony,dont want it to be a $250 oehler.

1bad, I think the biggest poo-poo I hear about the Chrony is that its electronics are out in front. If you shoot the Oehler or other brand, you've only shot the skyscreens, but if you shoot the Chrony you've shot the wad.
biggrin.gif
That being said, I've also heard that Chrony has a good repair/return department and will replace a damaged unit for cheap, but I haven't tried it myself. I also talked to one guy who said their sensitivity to light conditions was a little worse than more expensive brands, but that was just one opinion. For what you and I and Cali do, I think they're fine. I'll leave the hairsplitting up to the pros.
wink.gif

the master chrony has the corded readout and control unit,so I'll only be replacing the sensors if I shoot the thing,the electronics are safe.I just want to have all my rounds as close as possible to each other,in size weight and velocity.I imagine you dont use these all that often unless your never satisfied with your loads.
hump.gif

I use mine a lot, as I seem to be constantly trying new powder or bullets, at least until I have "THE" load in place. For example, I always load 5.0 gr of Titegroup under a 200 gr RNFP cast bullet for my .45 ACPs - it groups well, knocks the plates and pins over well and shoots to the same point of aim as my defensive load. I load 52 gr of IMR-4064 under a 150 gr Ballistic Tip in my .30-06 and 82 gr of IMR-7828 under a 180 gr Partition or Grand Slam in my .300 Weatherby. But I am still looking for the magic load for my .270, a bolt action .30-30 with 130 gr Spire Points, a heavy bullet load for a .223 Savage, etc.
wink.gif

Accuracy still takes precedence over velocity, but I wouldn't be happy with a 150 gr bullet at 2700 FPS from the .30-06, either.

I have an Oelher 35P that I used constantly when I was loading a lot for other folks. I used it mainly for information and to make a complete package. They got ammo, target and a ballistics chart with each new load. Since I quit doing that, I haven't had it out of the box. Most loads will stay within about 100 fps of the advertised load and up to about 400 yards, the point of impact is predictable. Unless you make some large changes in velocity or bullet configuration, you are not going to make any great changes in trajectory. They are a great toy, but largely very unscientific except for comparison from round to round. I don't know anyone who uses one for load developement who has theirs calibrated or checked against a standard with any regularity, if ever. That makes all the info relative, not absolute...

cool.gif

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back