Teach me about pants....

SD_Prairie_Goat

I really need a decent pair of pants for mid to late season hunting. I have carhartt bibs for the ultra cold sitting, so I really need a good walking around pant. I do a fair amount of spot and stalk on the prairie, and also bow from a tree stand.

Here is what I'm thinking for needs:
Very windproof
Doesn't have to be ultra warm, but a little insulation would be ideal for SD.
Really really really want outer material that is burr resistant, so fleece is out...
Water proof would be nice, but not a requirement
Need to be able to move well, but no mountains around here...
Camo would be nice, but not required

Any one got a recommendation? I know everyone speaks highly of sitka, but I really struggle to justify the price for the amount of hunting I do and the fact it's SD so not the toughest to hunt in.

Thanks in advance group

i have the attack pants from Kuiu and really like them. They do a great job of letting out heat when hiking and can easily put some long johns underneath them to add warmth. They are versatile and you can usually get them on sale or get a discount. I have a pair of eddie bauer pants that i really like but they do make more noise then the attack pants.

maybe look into the axis pant

For me there are no better clothes than Kuiu. My buddy laughed at me for years for spending the money. He finally bought s pair. Then another and finally he admitted they are the best he has ever worn.
I am sure other brands are great too.
Same my buddy had it for years and said I was crazy for not just getting one pair and trying them. Finally caved.

I have really come to like my Duluth Firehose cargo pants. Water resistant yes, burr proof hell yes, big pockets for hats, gloves, etc.. yes. Now they are not the warmest but with some Merlino wool underneath they are quite nice. Only downside is they are heavy. Walking around in the mountains you can feel the heaviness. Treestand hunting and walking a mile or less they are awesome.

I know you will swat me for this but---- I have worn woolrich malone pants for 45 years just like my father before me. They are good in snow and rain. Quiet in the brush and I only wear them out every 20 years or so.

It's hard for me to get new and fancy when things work this well for so long. Now feel free to tell me why I am so stupid.

I love wool, but so does burrs, and getting burrs out of wool is a pain.

Kuiu attack or pro pants. Started wearing kuiu 3 years ago. Have yet to be disappointed with anything purchased from them since.

I’ve used the Sitka ascent, Sitka timberline, Kuiu attack, Kuiu guide, FL obsidian, and corrugate foundry.

This year I got the corrugate foundary and really like them. Used them on an AK goat hunt, sept bear, and oct elk hunt.

Ascent: good, super lightweight, don’t have vents but don’t really need them. Definitely not warm, mine don’t have zip pockets. Turkey hunting, CO bear, archery elk.

Kuiu Attack: kinda the industry standard definitely recommend to anyone. Nothing bad, other pants had some new features and I destroyed mine.

Kuiu Guide: great for late season, soft shell is nice, have vents for steep climb… cut is a bit baggy IMHO. I like mine a lot, MT nov elk or MA dec whitetail.

Obsidian pants: best pocket configuration on any pant, wool… love /hate picks up burrs but is warm and yet also not too hot? I like these for early to mid season… not in oak brush.

For me zip pockets are key, just have to have them. Vents also important on hunting pants. The corrugate foundry were my first pants with knee pads. I think they are a game changer. Like stalking sure… but more climbing into a truck bed, changing a flat tire, kneeling butchering, etc. After this season I was like… why the hell don’t all pants have them. People who take theirs out are patently insane in my mind.

Anyway for you Kuiu attack, guide if you want more wind resistance, or corrugate foundry.

-Sitka are over designed and priced and under preform.(really need to add leg vent)
-Kuiu guide and attacks are my favorite true hunt pants. With leg vents and a simple design they are amazingly comfortable and long lasting.
-truspec, 24/7 and expeditions tactical pants (got hooked on them from old job) best all around daily life pant and work great on hotter or dryer hunts. Leg vents, quality design and fatboy waist.

I NEVER leave knee pads in but the truspecs and most sitka can use them, some kuiu models do.

Take a look at SKRE's insulated Wasatch plants. I like all of my SKRE gear and the insulated camo pants would be good for what you described. Quality gear, great customer service and decent prices.

I know you will swat me for this but---- I have worn woolrich malone pants for 45 years just like my father before me. They are good in snow and rain. Quiet in the brush and I only wear them out every 20 years or so.

It's hard for me to get new and fancy when things work this well for so long. Now feel free to tell me why I am so stupid.
Yup. Wool for me too. They've become quite expensive over the years, but so has everything else. Brand : Woolrich or Johnson Woolen Mills, Johnson , Vt.

Those who are running Kuiu, hows the fit around the thighs? I end up having to up size waist for most pants to get comfortable with the thigh fit... I'll probably need to find somewhere local to try them on first.

I have wool bibs for when the snow flies late season, like everyone said they are good for almost everything but burrs. And the public land around me seems to be more weeds than anything else.....

I appreciate the insight everyone. Seems like knee pads might be a feature to add to the list, normally I'm in soft ground so I don't really notice, but I can easily see the draw

Like has been Kuiu Attack pants. Have several years on mine. Have had a lot of blood on them and they look brand new.

I would get a softshell pant to walk in and a puffy pant to put on when you sit down. Any of the kuiu, sitka, first lite, kryptek, etc. are basically going to do the same thing. I personally look for the best deal(and I look white trash because none of my gear matches...) If that setup keeps me warm it should be able to keep anyone warm.

Kuiu here too. I like the Pro. Everything in their line is sport fit so I sized up. No stores to try them on. The return policy is excellent and they are pretty quick. Haven't purchased during the "pandemic" so maybe the return times have changed? Best of luck!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back