PEAX Equipment

TC Encore Pro Hunter .50 cal questions

CMF

We lucked up and drew a youth muzzleloader elk hunt in New Mexico this coming October.

I already have a TC Encore .243 that one of my kids hunts deer with so I'm looking to add the .50 cal barrel for this and future muzzleloader hunts. Also, my fil has one we have used and it shoots pretty good and I'm familiar with it, but he has not spent a lot of time trying different loads, etc. since we're typically hunting deer at 100yds.

1. For those with this exact barrel, what load combinations(for elk) have you found producing the best results?

2. What kind of range can I expect to get out of this setup? (hasn't really been a concern hunting deer in hardwoods)

3. Scope - Any recommended scopes? Being a youth hunt should I consider something with the capability to dial-up, so my son(or wife on later hunts) can just put the crosshair on and not worry about any drop or holdover? (assuming with practice his range is extended. and we have time to range find, etc.)

4. I already have the Choate adjustable stock on the gun since the wife and 8-yo old both hunt with the .243, but it doesn't have any recoil pad. Does anyone know if there is one that will fit this stock or recommend a better adjustable stock with recoil pad? My 11-yo that has this hunt shoots a 270 no problem, but I'm assuming this .50 is going to kick worse.

5. Has anyone ever machined a muzzle brake on this or another barrel, is it worth it? I saw a video of one that had the sides ported to blow the smoke to the side vs the top obstructing view and the bottom blowing up dirt.

Thanks for any help!

PM sent. Lots of good reading in that article. Let me know if you get it.

I have a pro hunter and I have had good luck with 100 grains of powder and a 300 grain bullet. I currently use Thor but my gun likes power belt platinums as well. I have a Nikon Omega scope to use during season but I have not had it on since I cannot use a scope during elk season and I have found that I can shoot good with the ghost ring sight I have.

I have a pro hunter and I have had good luck with 100 grains of powder and a 300 grain bullet. I currently use Thor but my gun likes power belt platinums as well. I have a Nikon Omega scope to use during season but I have not had it on since I cannot use a scope during elk season and I have found that I can shoot good with the ghost ring sight I have.
Thanks, which powder are you using?

I use American pioneer but have also used 777 and bh209. All of them are similar for accuracy, I like how the American pioneer cleans.

Reactions: CMF
I have a T/C Encore and was in the same situation as you are. I looked at the price of barrels and noticed T/C had a T/C Impact muzzleloader a lot cheaper in price than I could get the Encore barrel. I don't understand how they can sell a complete gun cheaper than they can a barrel??? Anyway it shoots great with open sites. I use it with a scope here in my home state for whitetail. I bought Leupold QD rings and bases which fit all my Encore barrels. Just remove the scope for CO elk and put it back on when I get home and holds 0 100%. I use Thor 250 gr bullets with 90 gr Blackhorn 209.

Reactions: CMF
Back