Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Taxidermy Info.....Everyone! !

Taxidermy_woman23

:) I've had about 1/2 a dozen folks from here E-mail me asking: What I used to mount animals?, How I learned to do Taxidermy?, What got me interested in Taxidermy?, Are their any Taxidermy Schools and how long were they, etc, etc. So I'm making a post so you can ask your questions on.

As for the questions I was asked via E-mail. Well..... I learned Taxidermy through videos I ordered from Taxidermy supply company. I also have a freind that does taxidermy and I ask him questions every now and again. Yes their are taxidermy schools out their but I have not herd of more than a dozen or so, but their are more I'm sure. As for their length, that would depend on the school.

As for what I use to mount an animal. Let's use a Deer Head for example. We order compressed foam forms. They give the deer most of the muscle detail after they are mounted and facial expression. We also use glass eye's, clay, staples, brads, Hide past (glue), bondo (yes I'm talking bout car filler, LOL) or ear linners, T-pins, and needles and thread.

That doesn't seem like a lot of stuff to be charging $300 - $500 for a shoulder mount? Well, those are just all of the supplies we buy for a deer head. It take about 7 to 10 hours all together to mount a deer from start to finnish. When you bring us a deer to mount. We have to skin it off of the skull, turn the ears inside out, and turn the lips, eyes, and nose skin so we will have something to tuck into the slots we have pre dremaled into the manikin. We also have to flesh all of the meat and membrane off of the hide befor we can even begin to mount the deer.

After all of that is complete we can either tan it or Dry Preserve it. If you are going to Dry Preserve (DP) it than we apply the DP and begin mounting. If we are going to tan it we have to salt the hide down and after 24 hours change and reaply new salt then we have to put it in a pick solution for atleast 4 days. This will make the hide swell up so after 3 days we will pull it out of the pickle and shave the skin down to make it thinner and then put it back in the pickle for 24 hours. Than we pull the cape out and neutralize it and put it in the tanning solution for 24 hours. Once it's been 24 hours we pull it out dry it with a towel and add tanning oil to it, roll it up and let it set over night. Now we can begin to mount the tanned cape.

The mounting process takes about 3 to 4 hours. Once the mount is dry we start doing the finninshing work. Filling in voids with epoxy, painting, and grooming. It takes a deer head atleast 2 weeks to dry properly.

You get what you pay for when it comes to taxidermy. I'm not, by any means, saying take your deer head to the most expensive Taxidermist out their! I've seen work come from Taxidermists who charge more than I do and I would have been ashamed to claim it, if it were mine :confused: .

The price range varies from one location to the next. In my area (Albany and Leesburg, Ga) the average here is between $250 and $350 dollars for a basic shoulder mount. Up in Atlanta It will run you anywhere from $300 to $450 dollars. Up in New York state I have herd of Taxidermist charging any where from $400 to $700 dollars :eek: .

My advise to the hunters is don't wait til you shoot a trophy buck befor you start shopping around for a taxidermist. Finding a good taxidermist requires some pre-season scouting. Just like hunting. You don't go into your hunting area the day befor the hunt and expect to know where the deer are moving and where you are going to put up a stand.

Once you shoot a deer that you want to get mounted you don't want to be driving around with it in the back of your truck while looking for a taxidermist. This can cause bacteria to set in the hide and cause your cape to slip (hair falling out). If that happens you will need a replacement cape. You want to be able to get your Trophy to a taxidermist as soon as posible. To help the taxidermist out record the time you shot your deer and let him know once you take it to him.

When you go to a Taxidermy Shop too look for a potential taxidermist always ask to see his customer mounts.....NOT his competition mounts. Their is a world of difference between the 2. A competition Piece is one that he is trying to win awards with and he will spend anywhere between 30 and 40 hours on just a deer head.....customer mounts will only get between 7 and 10 hours worth of work. Competition work is usually what ends up in the show rooms...Customer pieces are usually hung on the wall in the shop. Unless it is a specialty mount for a customer....than it usually goes into the show room because those usually get a lot more time put into them.

Hope this answeres some of your questions and helps you out a little...Feel free to ask me any more questions you might have and I will answere them the beast i can! :D

Well, taxi since htis is the subject to post i will, ok when i worked for my taxidermist2years ago, we had go buy salt, umm, i forogt the name but on tip oof my otungue, it spray makes smell so good, used for sprayin furniture, anyway that and salt cost enough, think called fabric somethin, ok when i cleaned a scull, u had to first put on gloves, get a blade, put it in the knife razor thing, try to clean it as clean as possible, i did so well i was best my boss ever had, there always some one better though, it takes hours to do that , but mounting it takes alot hours,stress,anger, and there competitions, they are very hard to go against, umm to even slice of meat to get hide off, u have be extra carefull, i got better but was very hard, umm to tan iol, not easy , u have to even , take this brush hting, and make sure the rug isnt lumpy, some send mounts in as is nasty soemtimes, almost wrecked, i had work on those, no funn, gettin, like dandruff somethinl ike off of our head, it takes alot of time brush it out, u have have mounts almost perfect, to well i forgot word but to shave a hide, fleshing it thats it that the name, so hard not cut hole, my first time of course was on a wrecked one dead as can be, i made it holy alright after did ok, but before i could learn anymore we were moved had other jobs was temporary, but stapleing, doin clay, puttin in eyes,using the bondo isnt easy i helped hubby on bosses truck with bondo to, it hard chit to work with, u have be careful with not cuttin ur self, infections very easy to catch, i had cut myself many times, and cleaned real good, man it hurt, u also wash heck outta the skull,clean it the best i forgot what i did frist but done it right,now u also have to blowdry sometime stakes about whole day, man it pain, ur mad, hungry, and u stay late hours, then u eat, go sleep, after all odne loked up shop had go back when alarm went off, u get angry cusotmers, who wanna kick ur butt, no reaosn either, or wanna buy ur place , so we went home early let guy knock himself out:):D, ok i forgot rest so i let yall post it is great hting to learn i might do it in future again:)

wow.........Thanks for opening our eyes and sharing some great info and tips,taxi.I for one know how long it takes to type a post that long lol!

btw! how long do you think it took you to learn what you have learned in taxi work so far?
Thanks again for the great post.

Daniel_in_AK,

I have been doing taxidermy work for 2 1/2 years. I taught my self most of what I know from books and videos. It didn't take me long to catch on to taxidermy. It came quite easy for me. Easier than anything I have ever done so far. I think I have fit between 5 and 6 years of experiance in 2 1/2 years. You never quit learing in this buisness. Their is always a quicker and easier way to do things I spend a lot of time on reaserch and referance pictures. I have freinds that have been in the buisness for anywhere from 5 to 20 years call me and ask what my opinion is on certian tecniqes.

csutton7,

No I have never used the Lutan F method of tanning. I use EZ-100. As for tanning capes...I use Dry Preserve on Life-Size small mammals and Deer Shoulder Mounts. Now for larger game heads and Life-Size and also Life-Size Deer I snd them off to be tanned or tan them in the shop. The reason I tan Life-Size Large Mammals and Large game heads is because when they are tanned I have a longer working time with them. When you use Dry Preserve it kinda limits you on how long you can work with a cape. You have to know what you are doing when you use Dry Preserve otherwise you can realy mess up. You have to thin the hide properly other wise as the deer dries it will shrink real bad and the skin around the eyes and the lip skin will cum untucked and you will have a gap. Hope this answered your question. If not ask another be more than happy to answere!

You have a good thing going there Tax, Quiet and myself worked for a taxidermist about two years ago and picked up some nice info along the way.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back