Taking a camper to Wyoming

Nice. Least you got something out of that torture. I got a nice cow elk the same way but not right away. It was almost dark and past shooting light when I stumbled onto a herd. Had maybe 10 minutes or less of legal shooting time that day.

Good for you! The torture seems to always make the success a little sweeter.

Yup a lot of people live in campers year round. I know people working in the oil fields that have fifth wheels and goosenecks they live in and pay no rent Just payments on the trailer. Some of the oil fields provide all the water and sewage dumps they need. Cheaper than buying a mobile home (manufactured housing inthe PC world) and paying for sewage, water and utilities too on top of space rent.

There are not many, very few in fact, rv’s designed/capable of cold weather use with water in the system. If you chose to have water in the system, make sure you have one of the one’s those that have enclosed/heated tanks/lines and sewer dump valves.

We love winter camping, but, having a unit winter capable unit has it’s problems. New, they are unaffordable for the most of us, the better units going for well over $100K...except for perhaps the Arctic Fox 5th wheel.
Weight is also the byproduct of high insulation/well constructed units......ours weighs 20K pounds with all of our gear/water, ect. The majority of the really well made units, ceased to exist with the market collapse of the late 2000’s. All that said, there are many well maintained units for sale at a small percentage of the original price. Our unit went for about $160 K new....we got it at 8 years old, for under $35 K from a motivated seller! memtb

I had a wheel bearing go out one year on I-70 on way home from a elk hunt with a group of buddies. All the bearings were brand new when we left. Had less than 2000 miles on them. Had to go to auto parts store and buy a new bearing set and 4” grinder. The spindle was basically melted so I reshaped it to make it work and crossed my fingers. Luckily made it home and bought a new axle. I always carry spares of everything now and proper tooling. It was nice having the camper there but it’s one more thing that can slow you down or ruin your trip.

Me too, getting stuck on the side of the highway on a Sunday late afternoon was reason enough to now carry spare everything.

Just as a side-not on the tire comments. Almost all of today’s new campers (unless you go high end) come with cheap Chinese tires, often referred to as “China Bombs”! When they come apart at speed, they can do a lot of damage to the camper.

Also, a good “rule of thumb” with RV tires.....change them out after they are 7 years old, no matter how good they look. You can buy a lot of tires for the several thousand $, to repair sidewall damage done by a tire failure! memtb

The more stuff you take the greater the chance in failure on the road.

One thing is for sure. Before you leave home you better have 2 spares for everything and everything better be greased real good and aired up.

I hate towing a trailer out west. I feel like its one more thing to fail and cost me days if not the entire trip.

But to each their own.

Of yes, I forgot to add- bring a floor jack, a cordless impact gun, and a handful of wood blocks with you.

Back