Caribou Gear

Swarovski Spotting Scope- HD vs Not

ThunderNocked

So I'll be buying a spotter later this month or next depending on how my next couple of checks turn out. My question for the group is as I am looking at the used Swarovski's there are HD and not-HD models.
For those who have used them what are you really seeing as the advantage in the HD? end of day full zoom? Clarity overall? Less Heat Mirage?
I've never owned anything this nice, it will be my first leap into this side of the pool and want to know from people who have used them what the actual advantages are.
I'm up in Alaska and spend a lot of time hunting by myself so I'm hauling all the gear so I'm looking at a smaller and lighter 65MM unit.
Thanks in advance.

I have a STS 65HD with the 25-50 eyepiece and love it. I too can’t compare to the non hd version though. Not sure how much difference the cost is between the two. But if you can afford it but once cry once.

I have the Swaro 65mm ATS in HD. Love it.

Same here, great versatile scope. When I was shopping I could not tell much of a difference in HD vs. non HD.
I went with the HD due to better future re-sale value. If you watch the rokslide classifieds,
non HD's take a while to sell while HD's typically don't.

Same here, great versatile scope. When I was shopping I could not tell much of a difference in HD vs. non HD.
I went with the HD due to better future re-sale value. If you watch the rokslide classifieds,
non HD's take a while to sell while HD's typically don't.
one of the reasons I was looking at the Non-HD. Seeing more of them Available on the Classifieds. HAHA.

The HD glass controls chromatic aberration, and that is the biggest difference between the two. Here is what I will say... I have owned many scopes and compared several Swaro HD's and non'hd. If you are just randomly looking at things, you will rarely notice a difference. However, look at any object that is high contrast (White object against a dark background) and you will immediately see the difference (you will get a large purple hue around the object with a non-hd scope). When trying to closely inspect an animal, a purple hue is the last thing you want. Especially when looking at animals in poor viewing conditions, The hue adds mass to horns and hides all the little details.

Just my two cents, but get the HD glass. Especially for hunting in the snow.

I’m not even sure what my STS 85 is but I’ll sell it to you.

Thanks, I'm not set up to buy today but I appreciate the offer.I'll reach out when I'm ready for the next step.
Today just wondering if there is a real world advantage.

@GearJunky interesting - that is the kind of thing I would be worried about. I will use this for other stuff but primarily for sheep hunting where judging horn curl and brooming is going to be the name of the game. Thank you for that input.

I've had both and agree with what Schaaf said, HD is worth it to me as is the 25-50W eyepiece.

why the 25-50 over the 20-60?
Everyone's eye is different, so this is something that is easiest to appreciate if you have the two eyepieces side by side... but for sake of discussion. The 20-60 eyepiece has more of the "looking down a straw effect". The wide angle 25-50 eyepiece has a "flatter view". With a 20-60 eyepiece I was always zooming in and out trying to find the best zoom. With the 25-50 eyepiece, I almost always just keep it at 25x and rarely have complaints.

I had both the 25-50 and 20-60 on my 80mm. The view through the 25-50 was nice and immersive, but for me it was not user friendly in terms of the functional eyebox. I was fighting kidney bean effect all the time. I stuck with the 20-60 and for me it's the better combo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back