Swarovksi Z3 and BRH Reticle

roberte65

I know Leupold is considered the "gold" standard here. But does anyone have experience with the Swaro Z3 and the BRH? The 3-10x42 with BRH looks to be a great topper for my whitetail rifle. And the Swaro Ballistics calculator seems to give decently usable sub tension holds with the 30-06 loadings id be using. (I pretty much set 300 yards as my max for whitetail)

Direct competitor in the price range would be the vx-5hd- which I know is more feature rich (though some features may be overkill for eastern whitetail).

I had a Swarovski Z3 4-12x 50mm, and now have a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x 56mm. The Leupold definitely has better glass, but more money too. No experience with the BRH reticle...mine had the Plex. IMHO, the Leupold VX-5HD is a great value for what you get, and people rave about the CDS.

I had a Swarovski Z3 4-12x 50mm, and now have a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x 56mm. The Leupold definitely has better glass, but more money too. No experience with the BRH reticle...mine had the Plex. IMHO, the Leupold VX-5HD is a great value for what you get, and people rave about the CDS.
Better glass in the VX5hd? Interesting! if that's the case, the decision may be easy. Have looked through the vx5hd and was impressed. Not seen a Swaro yet, but have heard of the legendary clarity.

Really liked a Z3 4x12 that went with a trade...clear as a bell and tracked just fine. Swaro gonna swaro..

I have that exact scope on a Kimber Montana 308. Crisp, clear, light, and the BRH is accurate with my 150gr TTSX loads out to 500y. It's perfect for 'lopes in WY and whitetail in TX.

I have that exact scope on a Kimber Montana 308. Crisp, clear, light, and the BRH is accurate with my 150gr TTSX loads out to 500y. It's perfect for 'lopes in WY and whitetail in TX.
did you find much parallax error/ focus issues at longer distances?

did you find much parallax error/ focus issues at longer distances?
I found a doe antelope DRT at just over 450 yards. Did not notice any focus issues. :)
Hold over was perfect, and the windage worked great in a 10mph cross wind.

Better glass in the VX5hd? Interesting! if that's the case, the decision may be easy. Have looked through the vx5hd and was impressed. Not seen a Swaro yet, but have heard of the legendary clarity.
For sure the Z3 is really good glass also. Another reason that I prefer the VX-5HD is that it is a 30mm tube...the Z3 is a 1" tube, if that matters to you.

The BRH is a mil based reticle, which I prefer over a standard ballistic holdover.

I thought the VX-5 and Z3 series glass was similar but I would agree with above. The VX-5 was a little better with improved contrast over the Z3.

I have extensive background with Swarovski optics and have several dozen of them on some of my rifles. From Z3 to Z6 in all forms. The 3-10 BRH is a great scope, better than the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes.

The ballistic reticles do work well over a variety of cartridges, although nothing is a perfect match throughout the various chamberings. The BRH works well for a hunting reticle and the BRX is a good choice for varmints. The BRH is a thicker crosshair with the modified “TDS” reticle that Swarovski used for awhile.

I prefer the Z5 3.5-18X44 BT with the 4W reticle for most of my varmint rifles. For a good hunting scope the 3-10 BRH will work well. I put one on this custom 270 and shot this coyote at 520 yards with the help of the BRH reticle and holding the 3rd crosshair right in the chest of the coyote...

5AB3E21A-3BD4-4C15-9539-586FA7DC3F54.jpeg29B0E547-07C4-4FB4-8703-8956C6A27941.jpeg

I have extensive background with Swarovski optics and have several dozen of them on some of my rifles. From Z3 to Z6 in all forms. The 3-10 BRH is a great scope, better than the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes.

The ballistic reticles do work well over a variety of cartridges, although nothing is a perfect match throughout the various chamberings. The BRH works well for a hunting reticle and the BRX is a good choice for varmints. The BRH is a thicker crosshair with the modified “TDS” reticle that Swarovski used for awhile.

I prefer the Z5 3.5-18X44 BT with the 4W reticle for most of my varmint rifles. For a good hunting scope the 3-10 BRH will work well. I put one on this custom 270 and shot this coyote at 520 yards with the help of the BRH reticle and holding the 3rd crosshair right in the chest of the coyote...

View attachment 173789View attachment 173790
Thank you for sharing your experience! That is one beauty of a rifle you have there!

I now have a Z3 3-10x42 BRH on order with BPS. I think for whitetails, it’ll be the ticket. In theory, dialing up with the CDS is easy, but i think the BRH would be simpler

Don’t get me wrong, a vx-5hd will top a future rifle intended for longer range/ western hunting. But I’m thinking the good glass and useful BRH reticle will work well this application.

I have a z3 in 3x9 and the glass is very good. Similar to my vx5hd 2x10. I don't have the brh reticle. If you limiting shots to 300 yards why not skip the brh reticle and just go duplex?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back