Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Swaro Z5 users, your thoughts?

Mako

So, I recently purchased a Winchester model 70 extreme weather for a light/mountain rifle after making the mistake of lugging my Bergara B-14 ridge up into the mountains this deer season. That rifle wore a Leupold VX5-HD which I’ve since moved onto the Winchester. I was thinking of getting anther VX5 to put back on the Bergara, but then I was thinking of maybe getting something lighter for the Winchester like a Swaro Z5. There is about a quarter pound difference between the two scoops (Swaro being lighter), but the Swarovski has a 1 inch tube versus the 30 mm of the Leupold. Will the narrower tube make a huge difference in light transmission? Also, how does the glass compare? I was even contemplating perhaps going with a VX6 at one point, but it’s even heavier than the VX5.

Your input appreciated.

I have the Z5 2.4-12x50 mm on my M70 featherweight in 308 and love it. Crystal clear and transmits light really well. Helped me out immensely on my whitetail buck I got the other day right after shooting light.
I have not looked through any Leupold scopes to directly compare however.

I have the Z5 2.4-12x50 mm on my M70 featherweight in 308 and love it. Crystal clear and transmits light really well. Helped me out immensely on my whitetail buck I got the other day right after shooting light.
I have not looked through any Leupold scopes to directly compare however.
Nice. Extreme Weather weighs the same as the Featherweight, so your set-up is virtually identical to what I'm looking to achieve. How do you like the 50mm objective? Do you find it to be overly large/obnoxious? I was thinking of going with the 3.5-18x44 since it's similar to the VX5 (3-15x44), but was looking at 2.4-12x50 as well.

I own a vx-5hd and have also been looking at the swaro products.... some others with direct experience can chime in, but I have read some post about the Swaro's eventually having issues with tracking true and the turrets essentially going to crap from recoil. This is my biggest concern and something that has kept me on the fence.

I have one and I really like it. I use the turret for hunting and have had no issues with it. I like it better than a lot of the other brands I have used in the past.

I own a vx-5hd and have also been looking at the swaro products.... some others with direct experience can chime in, but I have read some post about the Swaro's eventually having issues with tracking true and the turrets essentially going to crap from recoil. This is my biggest concern and something that has kept me on the fence.
Indeed. And Leupold has a lifetime warranty. If the info I've found is correct, Swarovski only warranties for two years.

Nice. Extreme Weather weighs the same as the Featherweight, so your set-up is virtually identical to what I'm looking to achieve. How do you like the 50mm objective? Do you find it to be overly large/obnoxious? I was thinking of going with the 3.5-18x44 since it's similar to the VX5 (3-15x44), but was looking at 2.4-12x50 as well.
I like a 50 mm objective. The more light gathering the better and do give it a lot of credit for my harvest last weekend. Not overly obnoxious on the gun, to my eye at least

I have the Z5 3.5x18-44. Light transmission is outstanding. I shot a four point Whitetail at 135 yards 28 minutes after sunset. That is two minutes before legal shooting cut off time in Washington. I had no problem putting the crosshairs on his vitals.

It's a minor point but aeshetically the Swaro 50mm, IMO, doesn't look like a Hubble....and Swaro clarity is the alpha standard.

Back