PEAX Equipment

SW Montana Hunting Help

Keep in mind there’s Also B tags for elk in 315.

When I moved here (Livingston) 16 years ago, I bought a bunch of B tags (elk, deer, pronghorn), as I couldn’t stomach going a year without hunting and eating big game
Exactly why I was so pumped getting some info from the guys above! I thought I was gonna have to wait until my elk hunt in colorado in the 4th season down there to get some meat. I purchased a Deer B in 315 and region 7. I hear there's some good country out in 7 to look at for mulies.

You will have suffered enough being in Bozeman. Just remember it was a nice cow town in the early 70s.

Buy yourself a National Forest map (Gallatin) and pick out all the roads that go to areas with few roads and a gate that closes in October. Heres a chance to see whats back there while you can. Look the trails over and see where they go. Note the elevations. What's fun in September may be "stuck till spring" by November.

Some of that Beaver creek country (Quake lake) has had a sizable elk herd early but with it a fair amout of Griz. The first few days to a week of rifle can be exciting but you will have company.

I've avoided most of the Bozeman country since my MSU days.
Additionally, Beartooth Publishing, which I believe is based on Bozeman, makes some very good recreational maps. I think they produce one for the Bozeman/Big Sky/West Yellowstone area. I don't venture over that way too often, but I've used my BP map of the Tobacco Roots a lot. They do a pretty good job noting road quality and noting which trails are off-limits to ATVS and/or motorized access. Since I do most of my exploring and hunting on foot, I like knowing ahead of time which trails should be (legally) free of ATVs. I've found the mileage distances on the trails to be pretty accurate as well. I think I got mine at Sportsmans Warehouse in Bozeman.

Thanks everyone for the advice on the leftover B tags. I was able to harvest this doe in eastern MT!
Here's some things I learned:

You constantly see posts in here about "road hunters", I never understood what that meant and I do now. (lol)
Just like anything with life, you get what you put into it. If you can walk the extra mile, do it.
The weather can change on a dime.
Never go cheap on binoculars. I would say mine are midrange and I understood why people save up for the glass they do.
Scope coat/cover. Gotta have it no questions asked.
Sitka gear is insanely durable and I have it to thank for letting me stay out all day in a 20 mph winds in 19 degrees. (Again pricey, but if you have the money for the investment that extra hour you can stay out is big).
Although I did this solo, I would rather do it with someone next time. (Packing out a 150 pound doe in 7 degrees is not what they call a "lazy sunday")

Overall a great introduction into MT hunting and what it has to offer. The west is very different and I'm grateful for all of your help!

Here’s a few others

Attachments

• FD0D29E7-EBF4-48DC-BF7D-9268C10013B4.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 42
  • 554A4102-5D1A-4ACC-8FDA-1D91EBE0419F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
  • 734B98AF-6D7C-42C1-9071-5E469CC919DB.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 41
Thanks everyone for the advice on the leftover B tags. I was able to harvest this doe in eastern MT!
Here's some things I learned:

You constantly see posts in here about "road hunters", I never understood what that meant and I do now. (lol)
Just like anything with life, you get what you put into it. If you can walk the extra mile, do it.
The weather can change on a dime.
Never go cheap on binoculars. I would say mine are midrange and I understood why people save up for the glass they do.
Scope coat/cover. Gotta have it no questions asked.
Sitka gear is insanely durable and I have it to thank for letting me stay out all day in a 20 mph winds in 19 degrees. (Again pricey, but if you have the money for the investment that extra hour you can stay out is big).
Although I did this solo, I would rather do it with someone next time. (Packing out a 150 pound doe in 7 degrees is not what they call a "lazy sunday")

Overall a great introduction into MT hunting and what it has to offer. The west is very different and I'm grateful for all of your help!
Great job !

Back