Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

SW Montana Hunting Help

Hey Everyone,

My name is Andrew and I just moved to Montana about a month ago, I posted a thread in the who am I section and got to speak with a few of you! I moved too close to the season, so I obviously was unable to snag some tags as a NR. So I'm planning to wait until I have residency in the winter to apply for RES tags. That being said I have this weekend and next that are free, and I'm planning on going out into a unit in the SW Montana area to scout and just get a better feel of trailhead/road system. Is this frowned upon if I do not have tags to be in units glassing/looking for elk/mule deer? Like I said I am completely free and do not have a concrete plan, and if anyone wants a hunting buddy to help them glass/pack out I would be more than thrilled to meet you anywhere and be an extra set of eyes for you. I guided on the east coast for deer and black bears, but obviously this is a completely different game and I am green.

Thanks,

Andrew

As long as you aren't out there with a bunch of calls trying to practice I don't see why you shouldn't be spending time in the hills and familiarizing yourself with the lay of the land. Personally I'd stick to trails and not go too deep off trail just to keep things quiet and to be mindful of the guys that are out there hunting. Don't bring a gun or bow that could be confused by a game warden as you hunting without a license. As a sidenote: I'd avoid doing much hiking in the hills during rifle season though...a lot of people out there.

Depending on where you go there may be hikers so sometimes blending in with them and being friendly on trail reveals details about potential game sightings.

As long as you aren't out there with a bunch of calls trying to practice I don't see why you shouldn't be spending time in the hills and familiarizing yourself with the lay of the land. Personally I'd stick to trails and not go too deep off trail just to keep things quiet and to be mindful of the guys that are out there hunting. Don't bring a gun or bow that could be confused by a game warden as you hunting without a license. As a sidenote: I'd avoid doing much hiking in the hills during rifle season though...a lot of people out there.

Depending on where you go there may be hikers so sometimes blending in with them and being friendly on trail reveals details about potential game sightings.
Oh yes definitely no calls. Just me, binos, and a ham sandwich. Yes won't be doing much during rifle season, figure I'd just go and have a look before weather gets bad

Personally I don't have a problem with you taking your elk calls into the forest and practicing - especially if you are on public land. Practice makes perfect as they say and you won't get good until you start practicing. That being said, if you get to a trailhead and there are a couple trucks there of obvious hunters, I would be respectful of those hunters but if you find an area that doesn't appear to have hunters and you want to blow on a bugle then I say go for it and try to learn from your interactions with the critters. Take a camera along and document your adventures that way. I believe for a reasonable price, you could also get a bird license that would allow you to hunt grouse which is something fun you can do while scouting elk country. Get out and enjoy your public lands while being courteous to others - that is all that can be asked.

As a NR you can hunt bears, lions, wolves, does and cows OTC (double check the deer/elk OTC, it may require a combo license), and there may even be some OTC archery/short range weapon either sex deer tags? There is also endless opps for birds both upland and on the water.There is plenty of hunting a "NR" in your position can do this fall.

Explore all you want, the hunters in the woods don't own the animals, trails or the season. You are not going to ruin someone else's hunt any more than some other shmo packing a bow or rifle wandering around calling or making noise.

Congrats on the move, make the most of this fall!

As a NR you can hunt bears, lions, wolves, does and cows OTC (double check the deer/elk OTC, it may require a combo license), and there may even be some OTC archery/short range weapon either sex deer tags? There is also endless opps for birds both upland and on the water.There is plenty of hunting a "NR" in your position can do this fall.

Explore all you want, the hunters in the woods don't own the animals, trails or the season. You are not going to ruin someone else's hunt any more than some other shmo packing a bow or rifle wandering around calling or making noise.

Congrats on the move, make the most of this fall!
Thanks for that! I was under the impression those tags were gone, I did not know they were still available! I'll have to check it out.

Do you like upland bird hunting? NR tag probably isn't too much, lots of mountain grouse to chase. Plenty of doe/cow opportunities, here is a link to the surplus licenses still available. http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/buyApply/alternatesAndSurplusLists.html

Make sure to research them to understand where you can hunt, many are not open on national forest lands.
I went on the surplus and got a Deer B tag, which I'm excited to have the opportunity to fill the freezer! I'm heading to SW Colorado for a week to hunt Elk in November so I did not purchase a cow tag, but there are some available there as well. You were right about those cow tags. Didn't want to pay 270 to hunt in the units they had and not be able to hunt on certain areas of the unit.

Last edited:
I went on the surplus and got a Deer B tag, which I'm excited to have the opportunity to fill the freezer! I'm heading to SW Colorado for a week to hunt Elk in November so I did not purchase a cow tag, but there are some available there as well. You were right about those cow tags as well. Didn't want to pay 270 to hunt in the units they had and not be able to hunt on certain areas of the unit.
Good luck!

Oh yes definitely no calls. Just me, binos, and a ham sandwich. Yes won't be doing much during rifle season, figure I'd just go and have a look before weather gets bad
@lostcolonyoutdoors
.....and some bear spray please Andrew, and maybe a sidearm, depending on where you fall on the spray/handgun bear defense argument. We want you to hang around HuntTalk for the long haul.

You will have suffered enough being in Bozeman. Just remember it was a nice cow town in the early 70s.

Buy yourself a National Forest map (Gallatin) and pick out all the roads that go to areas with few roads and a gate that closes in October. Heres a chance to see whats back there while you can. Look the trails over and see where they go. Note the elevations. What's fun in September may be "stuck till spring" by November.

Some of that Beaver creek country (Quake lake) has had a sizable elk herd early but with it a fair amout of Griz. The first few days to a week of rifle can be exciting but you will have company.

I've avoided most of the Bozeman country since my MSU days.

Awesome idea, thanks for the tip. I purchased a Deer B tag for 315, so I'll be focusing on that unit a bit. I've heard that unit is absolutely bonkers on the opener.
You will have suffered enough being in Bozeman. Just remember it was a nice cow town in the early 70s.

Buy yourself a National Forest map (Gallatin) and pick out all the roads that go to areas with few roads and a gate that closes in October. Heres a chance to see whats back there while you can. Look the trails over and see where they go. Note the elevations. What's fun in September may be "stuck till spring" by November.

Some of that Beaver creek country (Quake lake) has had a sizable elk herd early but with it a fair amout of Griz. The first few days to a week of rifle can be exciting but you will have company.

I've avoided most of the Bozeman country since my MSU days.

Back