Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

SUV gun storage

panfisher

Hey all, going to build a SUV storage locker for my new hunting rig. Just purchased a 2003 suburban and am in the process of modifying it for dogs/guns and everything else I can cram in there for road trips. I’ve got two kennels already, but I want to build a two drawer locking storage compartment to set them on. Anyone have any designs/ ideas that they’d care to share? I’ve got a decent plan in my head, but thought I’d check here to see if anyone had something to add to it.

I'm in the process of building my second set. Nothing really "wrong" with the first one, just wished I had thought through the lay-out and ease of use a bit more. The big lesson learned for us was wishing we'd have bit the bullet the first time and purchased drawer slides. This time I bought the 5' slides, rated at 500 lbs off amazon. Confirming the order physically hurt, but will be a better system for what we use it for than not having drawer slides at all like the previous version. I just put down some HDPE for the drawers to slide on, which worked, but if I got too much stashed in the drawer I'd about give myself a hernia pulling them out. Wifey also hated pulling the drawers out... which was the push to rebuild.

Also including a cubby at the front (6'4" bed, with 5' drawers) which is great storage for the stuff you don't need for everyday use, but still want to have tucked along. I keep my chainsaw/gas/bar oil up there, tow straps, tire puncture kit, etc. up there. Time and money depending, I may stash another 12v in there, with a solar panel on the roof. Hook up an inverter and it would be used for lights and charging electrical stuff.

Another lesson learned is this time I'm building it all out of HDO plywood, meant for concrete forms. More plies to the plywood, with better glue, meant for repeated exposure to wet concrete, hopefully mean they'll last longer. My old set-up wasn't necessarily broken, but spills, weather, and hard use were starting to take a toll. Also, I'm using a Kreg Pocket Screw system to put everything together this time. I glued and face screwed my last one, which split some plywood out, and meant I couldn't remove it without completely demolishing the top and bottom.

Any other questions?

Thanks! The drawer slides are crazy expensive I’ve found. My plan was to use treated plywood and cover the top w/indoor/outdoor carpet.

If I were building something similar for my truck I'd probably use a good marine paint for the decking, just for cleanup from spills and so it doesn't get that musty smell that carpet can get from that kind of use. You can put sand in the paint if you want some grit or they have an additive you can toss in for non-slip.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back