Stone Glacier Rain Gear

MtnElk

For the last ten years, my aging father and I head to far northeastern Manitoba to chase monster walleye, lake trout and pike for 11 days. 11 glorious days where internet works like 1 hour a day, computers are worthless and the best damn one on one time a son could ask for. The only negative of this trip is that sometimes the rain call be hellish. Like straight up deluge for 20-30 mins. I need new rain gear and I was thinking of actually buying some rain gear that could be multi functional

Does any here have any of the Stone Glacier M5 system (pants and jacket). I love my other Stone Glacier products, but haven't tried for the rain gear.

Curious to hear other's experiences

I've had the M5 jacket for a few years. It's decent. I've had some nice shells in my day and some crappy ones. Being a Rocky Mountain dweller I don't use hard shells a ton, although last fall and this spring have been an exception.

Pros:
--Good build quality and durable.
--Good feature set for hunting and general nasty hiking in the wet.
--Cut is great IMO, I know that's somewhat personal.
--$329 is hardly cheap, but comparably built shells are more.
--The membrane wp/b specs compare pretty favorably with other big names

Cons:
--The DWR is really terrible. I applied my own after using it for one day and it needed it badly.
--It could be considered a couple of ounces on the heavy side for what it is, but it's always a balance.

On the whole I think it's a good balance of features for what most backcountry hunters want a shell to do, at a fair price. I've never had a major soak through despite some wet bushwhacks, even with the crappy DWR. I'd give it like a B+.

Step Up $$: If you have the money I think the Arc'teryx Beta SV is probably the best thing going for a backpacking (not climbing) shell. @wllm has one. The Mountain Equipment Lohtse and Rab Latok Alpine are decent comps.
Step Down $$: Outdoor Research Foray II will save $100 off the M5 at retail. They punch a little above their price IMO.

My two cents.

I've had the M5 jacket for a few years. It's decent. I've had some nice shells in my day and some crappy ones. Being a Rocky Mountain dweller I don't use hard shells a ton, although last fall and this spring have been an exception.

Pros:
--Good build quality and durable.
--Good feature set for hunting and general nasty hiking in the wet.
--Cut is great IMO, I know that's somewhat personal.
--$329 is hardly cheap, but comparably built shells are more.
--The membrane wp/b specs compare pretty favorably with other big names

Cons:
--The DWR is really terrible. I applied my own after using it for one day and it needed it badly.
--It could be considered a couple of ounces on the heavy side for what it is, but it's always a balance.

On the whole I think it's a good balance of features for what most backcountry hunters want a shell to do, at a fair price. I've never had a major soak through despite some wet bushwhacks, even with the crappy DWR. I'd give it like a B+.

Step Up $$: If you have the money I think the Arc'teryx Beta SV is probably the best thing going for a backpacking (not climbing) shell. @wllm has one. The Mountain Equipment Lohtse and Rab Latok Alpine are decent comps.
Step Down $$: Outdoor Research Foray II will save $100 off the M5 at retail. They punch a little above their price IMO.

My two cents.
Thats a great report and exactly what I needed. Every time I try on Arc'teryx, I feel like Chris Farley in Tommy Boy...

But I love my SG DeHaviland pants and Jacket, and according to SG reps, it's the same fit and cut - which is nice to count on

Your report of "never had a major soak through" is what I needed to hear, because that is where my Bass Pro / Cabela's gear failed... even the "guide level" stuff. And once you're soaked through, then cold and wet... fishing is hard to enjoy.

Looks like I'll be ordering, applying a layer once I arrive, since I need to refresh my dad's rain suit too

Thats a great report and exactly what I needed. Every time I try on Arc'teryx, I feel like Chris Farley in Tommy Boy...

But I love my SG DeHaviland pants and Jacket, and according to SG reps, it's the same fit and cut - which is nice to count on

Your report of "never had a major soak through" is what I needed to hear, because that is where my Bass Pro / Cabela's gear failed... even the "guide level" stuff. And once you're soaked through, then cold and wet... fishing is hard to enjoy.

Looks like I'll be ordering, applying a layer once I arrive, since I need to refresh my dad's rain suit too
The beta SV is cut as an outer layer so it’s not slim as their other offerings… but yeah I try before you buy.

Forget the technical rain gear for fishing and get yourself some Helly Hansen Impertech stuff. Save the Stone Glacier for your hunting trips. You won’t win any fashion shows, but it doesn’t matter how hard or long it rains, you’ll be dry. You can thank me when you get back from your trip.

No experience with SG rain gear. Love the SG packs!
4 years with Marmot PreCip rain gear. Last year, rained 9 out of ten days, mountain hunting.
Marmot, my go to.

For what its worth

I have the M7 pants. I believe they are just like the M5's but with slight insulation. I Wore them rifle opener in Montana last year, it was raining and grass was all wet. I was soaked by the end of the day. Very much so not impressed by SG's "waterproof" products.

I run SIP rain gear for work as there is no water that gets in. They are on grade with the other professional fishing/pvc rain suits. They are to prevent keeping water out and are good at it.

That being said, I have brought them on a hunt when it was going to be wet and nasty for a long period of time. Most hunts have a little rain or snow. Two different scenarios and clothes made for two different purposes. All depends on your discretion of how much you want to spend and wether you want one set that does ok in both or two sets that are very good in each scenario

Forget the technical rain gear for fishing and get yourself some Helly Hansen Impertech stuff. Save the Stone Glacier for your hunting trips. You won’t win any fashion shows, but it doesn’t matter how hard or long it rains, you’ll be dry. You can thank me when you get back from your trip.
Well I went with the Impertech and it was wet as hell today. But it turned out alright. Was jigging in deep water for walleye with an ultralight rod when I pulled this 36” trout up. What a fight on an UL rod

IMG_4069.jpeg

I have arcteryx alpha AR (must be 3 or 4 model years ago) and it's definitely bigger than my sitka dewpoint (prior gen) shell in the same size. Just looked at the arcteryx site and holy piss they want $700 for an Alpha jacket now :ROFLMAO: I've got a bunch of arc peices and i think most all have been on 30%+ discounts. Full price is just silly on some of that stuff.

Anyways, agree whole heartedly with not using that expensive lightweight stuff for fishing!

I like the M5. It fits well. Longer body and sleeves, but still mostly trim. Can fit base, mid and insulation under it and not feel too constricted. It does wet out fairly easily, but it water doesn't get through. It also breathes really well. I use it for backcountry skiing and it does a good job on the uphill. Only gripe is it is kinda tight in the neck/chin area so it is hard to zip up fully with some layers underneath.

Absolutely

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back