Stock upgrade for Weatherby Vanguard - Hogue or Bell and Carlson?

WesternCO68

I've owned a Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Win for a few years now, and in some ways I really like the synthetic stock. It seems well made, about as well made as any other injection molded stock on the market. Accuracy has been fine. But that Weatherby style stock is not comfortable for me to shoot for some reason.

I'm considering changing/upgrading the stock. On the cheap end, I could find a Hogue stock like the one that comes standard on Howa 1500's. That would be an improvement in terms of comfort at least, but I don't know much else about Hogue rifle stocks. Hogue stocks aren't all that cheap new, and I'm thinking I might be better off waiting another few weeks and saving a little more money for a Bell and Carlson. I can't afford anything more expensive than that right now, so HS Precision and the more expensive brands are right out.

Seems like the Hogue stocks have mixed reviews. What are the downsides? I like the ergonomics and the recoil pad (I have a Hogue stock on my Mossberg 12 gauge), but I'm curious about flex and usability with a tripod.

I've owned a Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Win for a few years now, and in some ways I really like the synthetic stock. It seems well made, about as well made as any other injection molded stock on the market. Accuracy has been fine. But that Weatherby style stock is not comfortable for me to shoot for some reason. I'm considering changing/upgrading the stock. On the cheap end, I could find a Hogue stock like the one that comes standard on Howa 1500's. That would be an improvement in terms of comfort at least, but I don't know much else about Hogue rifle stocks. Hogue stocks aren't all that cheap new, and I'm thinking I might be better off waiting another few weeks and saving a little more money for a Bell and Carlson. I can't afford anything more expensive than that right now, so HS Precision and the more expensive brands are right out. Seems like the Hogue stocks have mixed reviews. What are the downsides? I like the ergonomics and the recoil pad (I have a Hogue stock on my Mossberg 12 gauge), but I'm curious about flex and usability with a tripod.
I've owned a Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Win for a few years now, and in some ways I really like the synthetic stock. It seems well made, about as well made as any other injection molded stock on the market. Accuracy has been fine. But that Weatherby style stock is not comfortable for me to shoot for some reason. I'm considering changing/upgrading the stock. On the cheap end, I could find a Hogue stock like the one that comes standard on Howa 1500's. That would be an improvement in terms of comfort at least, but I don't know much else about Hogue rifle stocks. Hogue stocks aren't all that cheap new, and I'm thinking I might be better off waiting another few weeks and saving a little more money for a Bell and Carlson. I can't afford anything more expensive than that right now, so HS Precision and the more expensive brands are right out. Seems like the Hogue stocks have mixed reviews. What are the downsides? I like the ergonomics and the recoil pad (I have a Hogue stock on my Mossberg 12 gauge), but I'm curious about flex and usability with a tripod.

I love the Hogue overmolds. I've been thinking about putting one on my old M77 Ruger. I bought a Bell and Carlson to put on the 1896 Mauser project and hate it. The wrist area feels too fat for my taste. My Granddaughter could not get her hand around and reach the trigger. Out of the box I had to do a LOT of fitting to get the action in. The barrel rubbed against the right side of the channel.

Love the Hogue overmolded full aluminum bed stock I put on my Rem. 700 15 yrs ago. Indestructable,stable and it just feels good to grab it.
I use a tripod & Y yoke at times and never had a problem with it. I can just lean it on a tree branch too. Weather does not phase it.

My Howa .308 heavy barrel has a Hogue stock on it that came with the rifle when I got it. It's the standard pillar bed stock and not the full length bed stock. It's been fine for use on a bipod but there is a bit of flex to it. If I were looking at a Hogue I'd go with the full length bed it should have a stiffer forend.

I've never used the Hogue, but I have replaced a few stocks with the Bell and Carlson. As stated I think the B&C is fine if you have larger hands it does seem a bit larger in the pistol grip area. Everyone I have had, I have not had fitting issue drop the barrel and action in and tighen it up and your ready to go.

I picked up a Vanguard when Wally world had them for 250.00. I've been looking at the Bell and Carlson myself. Edit. After learning you can get the Hogue with a full bed I will be considering it. I do not have the largest hands.

Last edited:
I've had Hogue problems. Had 2 of them crack right where the bedding ended on them. It took me 6 months to figure out why my shooting was terrible then i felt a slight bend one day in the stock. Sure enough, it was cracked. Hogue customer service refused to admit that it could have happened to their stock, and were complete pains about it. Basically said, go buy another one and hope it doesn't break. I won't buy another Hogue. I personally love HS precision stocks. Every single one me or my family has owned has been amazing comfort wise and strength. I would highly recommend them, but I do not know if they make molds for Weatherby's.

Neither of those choices is much of an upgrade over the current stock. What are you looking to "upgrade?" I doubt either of them would be lighter than your current stock. In fact, they'll probably be heavier.

If you want to buy a different stock for the sake of doing it...go ahead. But if you truly want to upgrade, save a bit of money and get a HS, Banser, McMillian, or something similar.

I've got 2 in Hogues, 1 is a .243 Howa that I just got this year, but it shoots pretty wicked with Hornady Outfitter 80gr GMXs. I put a Hogue on a Savage 11 .204 a few years ago that I absolutely love. It's not the lightest option out there, but dang it feels good in the hand. It's been comfortable to shoot offhand, as well as settled into a yoke/rest, which I cannot say about my Weatherby S2, which feels good everywhere except on the bench

Neither of those choices is much of an upgrade over the current stock. What are you looking to "upgrade?" I doubt either of them would be lighter than your current stock. In fact, they'll probably be heavier.

If you want to buy a different stock for the sake of doing it...go ahead. But if you truly want to upgrade, save a bit of money and get a HS, Banser, McMillian, or something similar.
Great advise right here.

I’m not looking to change just for the fun of it. The Weatherby style stock on my Vanguard is less comfortable for me to shoot than one with a straight comb. I don’t have a problem with the weight or quality of the Vanguard stock though.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Sounds like Hogue and B&C are only an upgrade if the ergonomics work better for me. Also sounds like either one is fine for a hunting rifle.

I went the B&C route several years ago. I don't mind the fit and large pistol grip but I did have to do some minor fitting to get my bolt to clear properly. I'll say this, the thing is pretty dang heavy and the recoil pad is inferior to something like a limbsaver in my opinion. I wouldn't make the same choice twice....I bet there are better options out there these days...

This may not be a popular suggestion but have you considered a laminate stock? There are some nice features you can get in a laminated stock these days. They're affordable. They're plenty stiff for shooting off of a bipod. I put one on my friends Ruger M77. I pillar bedded it, which is my recommendation for any wood laminate stock. He's killed several hogs with it now. I'll likely get another one to replace the stock on my XPR next year.

I've ordered a few b&c stocks and have had good experiences. They are fairly light and feel good in the hand. Always a drop in fit.

I have a Hogue on a Vanguard (used to be on a Howa) and a couple with Bell & Carlsons. The B&C stocks are the Weatherby design.
Having used both, I would choose the B&C every time as a better stock. I bed the action and float the barrel, and that's a lot easier in a B&C. You can't bed the action in a Hogue, just the recoil lug.

Make sure to touch both, as the feel is very different between them.

I've got a Bell and Carlson stock on my Vanguard in 30/06. I love it. I had a gunsmith glass bed it and after that it became the most accurate rifle I own. No it's not the lightest stock, but it's also not the most expensive. Laminated wood stocks are nice but boy that would make for a heavy rifle, because the Vanguards are already on the heavy side as it is.

I am wanting to ditch the Hogue on my Howa 270 as well. I have considered the ORYX by MDT, it is a chassis more than a stock and not very light, about 2# heavier but seems to be comfortable. Howa is offering them on their rifles.

I've got a Bell and Carlson stock on my Vanguard in 30/06. I love it. I had a gunsmith glass bed it and after that it became the most accurate rifle I own. No it's not the lightest stock, but it's also not the most expensive. Laminated wood stocks are nice but boy that would make for a heavy rifle, because the Vanguards are already on the heavy side as it is.

Yes a laminate is a little heavier. The two long action stocks from Bell and Carlson show to come in at 2.25 lbs. The lighter offerings from Boyd's are about 2.5 lbs. There are some things you can do to lighten them if you care to mess with it. Otherwise the B&C is the lightest option for the price.

I don’t have a Weatherby, but do have B&C and McMillan edge stocks. The B&C stocks are a better fit and ergos than the McMillan. All my B&C stocks were drop ins and required no fitting or bedding whatsoever. The B&C stocks that I have are as light as the McMillan edge stock that I have. B&C stocks are just a better and less expensive stock than the McMillan edge stock. No buy into the false hype and save your money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back