Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Stock Question

Sandhillshunter

Looking at finally getting a stock on a Howa barreled action I have (24" heavy barrel 308). Looking at the BC Classic Medalist vs the HS Precision. Any thoughts on either of these two? Good or bad?

Is the HS Precision worth the extra $130? I have no problem spending the extra money for a better product, but never having seen the HS myself, I really cant say one way or the other.

Thanks,

I have the HS Prec for my weatherby/howa and 3 B&C's for my tikkas. I much prefer the HS Prec. Better fit/finish/stiffness/inletting if you ask me. The only advantage for the B&C is that it is lighter if you are an "ounce counter". The only reason I didn't get HS for the tikkas is they do not inlet for tikka.

With being fairly new to the rifle game does a stock make that much of a difference? (Probably a stupid question)

A good stock can make all the difference. Irregular pressure on the action, or especially the barrel can have a huge impact on accuracy. The ability to get a consistent, comfortable, and repeatable cheek weld is important to shooting. Length of pull is also important for repeatability. Obviously weight is a consideration for carrying.

It's all about consistency.

Thanks for the replies guys. My son has the B&C on one of his Savages, and other than the barrel channel not being completely centered, there have been no issues with it. It's just annoying as all get out. Is this common with B&C stocks?
denverteacher, not a stupid question at all and RockinU pretty much covered it.

Thanks for the replies guys. My son has the B&C on one of his Savages, and other than the barrel channel not being completely centered,, there have been no issues with it. It's just annoying as all get out. Is this common with B&C stocks?
2 out of my 3 were a little off.

I was turned on to these guys from a gun builder. They are a little more expensive but seem to be really nice stocks.

Thanks for the replies guys. My son has the B&C on one of his Savages, and other than the barrel channel not being completely centered, there have been no issues with it. It's just annoying as all get out. Is this common with B&C stocks?
Someone on here had a fitment issue with a B&C stock and he sent it back and they made it right.

That barrel channel issue would wear my OCD out...even though as long as it's not touching it shouldn't matter. I'm waiting on an Iota stock for a gun I'm working on right now, talked to the people who make them, and handled a few...pretty stoked about getting it, they are pretty light weight for what they are. No idea if they'll fit your rifle, but I think for a Rem 700 they are about $500 on Stockys, or I think you can go straight to the source and get custom colors, but I'm not 100% on that (they're local for me).

So I went with the B&C. Here are a few pics of the the two put together. The barrel channel fit as it should and I'm very happy about that. The picture does look like one side has a little bigger gap, but it is just the angle of the photo. The barrel is right down the middle of the channel. I like the feel of the stock, and am presently surprised how well it fits me.

Please ignore my messy gun room, as I am rearranging things and its a little out of sorts right now. Thanks.

Looks good! I'm glad it worked out for you. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a B&C for my model 7.

Looks good! I'm glad it worked out for you. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a B&C for my model 7.

Thank you!

The model 7 you say? Oh how I love that model of Remington. I had one for years and then like an idiot, sold it. I have regretted it every deer season. One of the most useful hunting rifles out there IMO.

I’ve got a Model 7 .308 in an HS precision. I loved the look of the original walnut, but it never really shot as well as I would like. The HS stock and a Timney trigger made a big difference. It’s actually headed to my rifle smith to be rebarreled so I can run my suppressor on it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back