Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Still hunting CO black bears

GBrokx

I am new to black bear hunting and this will only be my second year giving it a try. I know an area where I elk hunt that I have seen bear track and scat. This last fall I went back to the location with a bear tag in my pocket and found loads of raspberries, rose hips, a good water source, bear scat, and tracks. I know there are bears in this area but there are no good spots to glass the area. I am debating if it is worth going back to the same location and doing a combination of sitting near heavy sign/food or simply still hunting through this zone. The other option would be to abandon this location and find an area I can glass. I have been very successful still hunting elk (40% success over 9 years in a OTC unit), so I am tempted to try my luck skill hunting and sitting in some of the more open areas of aspen trees. Anyone have any luck still hunting black bears or would you suggest I find a better location to glass?

I'm a newb so don't have any direct advice from experience. However, I have spent quite a bit of time talking to bear hunting experts and trying to learn as much as I can (since my first 3 tags ever are bear tags). My first question would be how fresh is the bear sign you've come across. If you're finding consistent FRESH sign in the area, then I'd say it would be worth it to hunt the area. Try to identify the bear's travel corridors and any small opening areas with feed that may provide you with a good shot. Trail cams may be helpful for this if they're legal where you're at. The book, Ultimate Guide to Black Bear Hunting (https://amzn.to/3P3ZoH3) may also have some helpful tips for you. Good luck!

Do you have water sources nearby? If you can get in an area with a both food and water, you should be on the money.

Do you have water sources nearby? If you can get in an area with a both food and water, you should be on the money.
There is food, water, and plenty of sign. The only downside of the area is the longest range I can usually see is about 300 yards tops, and most views are less than 200yards in the aspen trees. Just wondering if I would have better opportunity trying to find a new location I can glass longer distances, however that may take time to find.

Right now, stick to deep valleys- shade and water. They might only come out quickly in the evening and be on the move when their feet hit the ground. Watch the trees as much as the ground. Perhaps throw a quick distress call out and watch.. They are more scared of you than you are of them. Good luck.

Still hunting bears isn’t a thing. Dogs, bait or spot/stalk. Most effective to least effective.
My buddy did have success blind calling a black bear using a fawn distress call. I tried this strategy as well but didn't work for me, but another thread on here has a bunch of success stories on it too. So I guess its a 4th option to what you've listed. Still wondering if anyone has had success still hunting, but so far it doesn't look like it. That being said, I have run into bears before hiking around quietly - feeling like this might be on the list as least effective.

My buddy did have success blind calling a black bear using a fawn distress call. I tried this strategy as well but didn't work for me, but another thread on here has a bunch of success stories on it too. So I guess its a 4th option to what you've listed. Still wondering if anyone has had success still hunting, but so far it doesn't look like it. That being said, I have run into bears before hiking around quietly - feeling like this might be on the list as least effective.
Anything is possible. If you have the time, try it out.

Still hunting very different from sitting still hunting in my world.
Not sure what other type of still hunting you would be referring to. Sitting over a food source or waterhole and waiting for the animal to use the area is what I have always considered still hunting. Just curious what you are talking about.

Not sure what other type of still hunting you would be referring to. Sitting over a food source or waterhole and waiting for the animal to use the area is what I have always considered still hunting. Just curious what you are talking about.
In general, "still hunting" is walking quietly, slowly through the woods hoping to spot game. "Stand hunting" is sitting in a tree stand or sitting (standing) by a waterhole or other likely spot. They don't necessarily make sense, but hey, it's English and it doesn't have to.

Still Hunting​

As the name implies, still hunting is walking stealthily through an animal’s habitat, stopping frequently—sometimes for long periods—to scan and listen for game. Typically, big-game hunters use this method in unfamiliar terrain or where stands are impractical or forbidden.
  • As a general rule, spend at least 10 times longer being still and observing than walking. Keep a low profile; a human silhouette will spook many game species. Use binoculars in open terrain to identify movement properly.

I have told this story several times in other threads on this forum, but last year I killed a bear still hunting for elk (but I had a bear tag and she was a target of opportunity). The downside to still hunting, just like calling, is that you are less likely to have time to decide if it is a boar (or sow without cubs), than if you glass the bear up at a distance.

Bear make a lot of noise when feeding. The biggest boar I've killed was Colorado Archery. I could hear him breaking oak brush limbs for a long ways. I just eased in on him.

I have told this story several times in other threads on this forum, but last year I killed a bear still hunting for elk (but I had a bear tag and she was a target of opportunity). The downside to still hunting, just like calling, is that you are less likely to have time to decide if it is a boar (or sow without cubs), than if you glass the bear up at a distance.
My hunting buddy is going in with an archery elk tag and I am going in with a rifle bear tag. I think we are going to still hunt the area we are used to and see what we run into

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back