Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Steam bending wood for snowshoe making (DIY project)

Stay Sharp

**DISCLAIMER*** This IS NOT a sales thread. I DO NOT sell snow shoes or bent wood art works!!! This is another learning by doing post. I AM NOT selling this stuff.

I'd wanted to learn to make snowshoes for some time but never got around to it. Then I corrected that. Before I set out to make actual sized and wearable snowshoes I started by making half scale versions to learn the process. Here is the process I used as I learn about steam bending wood. Im using oak since Ash is hard to come by here. I shaped and thinned the oak stick in the areas where the bends are otherwise it will break and I have broken many until I got a pattern that works.

Sadly Photobucket screwed over most folks and holds many of my images hostage so the pics of the steam bending are blurred but I transitioned to imgur and the rest of the pics are viewable.

step1_zps7c4ba2fc.jpg

The form I made.

step2_zps20651bad.jpg

The high tech steam creator (since one cant buy steam, premade) is just a turkey cooker (propane) and a big pot and aluminum dryer vent tube to the end of the PVC that holds the wood.

step3_zps80fc0fbb.jpg

The steam chamber is PVC

step4_zps8a39a7b6.jpg

After a hour of steam It can be coaxed around the form.

step5_zpsed43422d.jpg

and the nose bent

step6_zps45df2db3.jpg

After a day or two its dry enough to hold the shape and crossbars are added and its sanded because the steam raises hell with the wood

Then I lace the heel and toe with deer skin and varnish everything.

b4cR0og.jpg

Since the prototypes are half scale and cant be worn and I didnt want to waste the effort, I turned the small snowshoes into wall art pieces. The first batch will have deerskin leather centers with artwork. I had a lot of tanned deer and elk hides and this seemed like a good use for them. I developed a process to ink artwork onto tanned hides which lent itself well to this effort.

U0ZnuCB.jpg

vbszcBk.jpg

Again, these are half scale.

qHD3Y2K.jpg

vOICiNo.jpg

Then I thought, since this is the 21st century I should make electric snowshoes so I bought a small light and cord set and fashioned up a lamp but I wanted a lamp that I could customize or change with the seasons. For the lampshade I printed oak and birch skin on legal sized paper on my printer. For the frame I steam bent small strips of oak.

OH4Uc7H.jpg

xcLRN2X.jpg

Then I thought about adding a background that appears ONLY when the light is on. (with oak)

Fp4bNLv.jpg

Then birch

ZEheQSm.jpg

Then I went kind of nuts because its easy to change the skins as I held the paper in place with long and thin magnet strips.

ZSFa5aW.jpg

5Z7RRXj.jpg

The sky was the limit for options in regards to silhouettes based on my mood and the season but then I had another thought on how to customize behind the bark only when the light is on.

2zmCHf9.jpg

ShmmT5C.jpg

r3boWS3.jpg

Each time I cut a piece of wood to make a snowshoe I have a piece of drop/scrap that I had been setting aside. Then I had a thought and placed the drop in the steamer box with the snowshoe wood and bent that piece of drop around a 25 pound plate from my weight set to form a wooden hoop.

I thought, why not cut some tanned deerskin leather into circles and lace them onto the wooden hoops. So I did.

elkbuglehoop_zpsgerrggnw.jpg

7hoops_zpsqqasaafp.jpg

wolfhowlhoop_zpshhvgxoya.jpg

bearcubhoop_zpsvenahs6x.jpg

redfoxhoop_zpsyi7qcvjv.jpg

buckbirchhoop_zpsz2twkizv.jpg

eagleshoop_zpshx68vcgc.jpg

Winters are long in WI. The joy is in the doing.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back