Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

State pros and cons

Jwhigg18

Alright so this year is my first trip out west to hunt mule deer/whitetails in November in northwestern Nebraska. I think one of the most enjoyable parts of hunting is planning the trip, so I’m already planning my 2020 season. This year in Nebraska was more of my fathers choice but next year I’m looking at either Montana, Colorado or Wyoming. I’m looking more at a region 7 tag in Montana during the rut. I will have 1 point in Wyoming but missed the other deadlines. The goal is to get my feet wet and start going every year. My family is actually looking at moving to the Bozeman Montana area in the next few years. I’m mainly looking for a state with a higher density even if the “quality” isn’t as good and it sounds like Montana may be my state for 2020. I’m I missing something? Montana is a lot further from me then Colorado or Wyoming but it sounds like it would be worth it. I’ve been researching all the states draw odds and success rates but with little to no points a general region tag seems like the best option even though the tag is a lot more in price and further. I also like the idea of being able to go back to the same area year after year if I choose so. Thanks for any helpful advise to this newbie western hunter.

You would need a Montana general deer combo , there’s no region 7 tag . The General tag is good statewide . Montana does have decent numbers of deer but as most guys on here will tell you , and I believe it’s true , chances of getting a big one are slim . If you want a medium 3 point or small 2.5 yr old 4 point Montana is your state

man, you missed MT by 2 days. WY is 31 Oct so don't let it get away from you.

In most units in Colorado, you don't have the opportunity to hunt the rut if that's what you're after. We vote that in and I hope it stays that way. A muley buck gets stupid during the rut and is too easy to kill.

If I was looking to move to a new state in a few years and hadn't ever hunted it, I'd take the opportunity to do that for better or worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back