Caribou Gear Tarp

Squirrel ‘22

I finally found some time and got out yesterday evening. It is finally a hint of fall in the air in Virginia. Sat under some hickory and beech trees I sat under with my grandpa many years ago as a kid. Actually shot my first animal there with a single shot .410 Stevens. I will never forget that big old fox squirrel trotting out on a limb of his den tree which was a large beech at daylight.
The Annie shot well she went 4 for 4 all head shots. Going to find a good recipe that I haven't tried maybe. If not the gravy will be great!
View attachment 239367View attachment 239368
I shot my first squirrel with a single shot Stevens too! Nice Annie!

Indeed. The bot fly adults lay eggs on many species of rodents, including squirrels, but I rarely see them there. The eggs hatch and the larvae grow in the animal's skin until it is ready to emerge, where it falls to the ground, pupates and then "hatches" out of that to the adult.

Humans can get them as well. They often like the back of the neck and head. Just let them do their thing and all is well. If you claw them out, bad things happen.

I can't imagine this one. A daily shower with soap and hot water seems like a good habit. Especially when I read these posts!

If you were gonna do like a 3-5 day section hike along the a-t during squirrel season, hoping to pop a few along the way how would you go about cooking them?
I would take a small vial of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, some salt (probably garlic salt) and pepper. Rub with oil, apply seasoning and grill slowly. Panfried in garlic, with garlic, butter and mushrooms works but that makes me think I'd try this.

Pack dried mushrooms, and above stuff. Hydrate the shrooms then load the and squirrel and seasoning a oil onto aluminum foil, fold into closed packet and roast in the coals. Yup, that's what I'd do.

There’s been 2 big red squirrels about 1/4 mile down the road from the house every afternoon when I come home from work.

As they run off the road one looks a lot like little fried morsels smothered in country gravy on top of homemade biscuits. The other looks, and runs, like he’s been slow smoked and tossed in some Asian zing sauce.

I need a day off.

There’s been 2 big red squirrels about 1/4 mile down the road from the house every afternoon when I come home from work.

As they run off the road one looks a lot like little fried morsels smothered in country gravy on top of homemade biscuits. The other looks, and runs, like he’s been slow smoked and tossed in some Asian zing sauce.

I need a day off.
Are they like Missouri red squirrels or Minnesota red squirrels? The latter aren't big enough for hors d'oeuvres much less dinner. Good luck. Not seen a squirrel here in a long time. Not sure what is up.

Are they like Missouri red squirrels or Minnesota red squirrels? The latter aren't big enough for hors d'oeuvres much less dinner. Good luck. Not seen a squirrel here in a long time. Not sure what is up.
They are like Missoura red squirrels.

My neighbor who is about 90 years old and hunts squirrels pretty hard swears the squirrel population is down. I asked him why he thought and he can’t explain it. We are having a huge mast year and the two times I’ve been out I’ve had no trouble getting my limit in an hour or 2. But they have all been grey squirrels.

Interestingly, we are having a mast year for white oaks, but nary a red is to be seen. Last year was the reverse. Red acorns are much prefered. Mast years are more important for NEXT year's squirrel crop however.

How is the hawk population near you? Not bad here, so they arent the explanation but we had a pair of GHO raise three youngsters and they put the hurt to lots of stuff (except house cats :( ).

The high winds have probably had something to do with the derth of squirrels, but still seems strange.

If you were gonna do like a 3-5 day section hike along the a-t during squirrel season, hoping to pop a few along the way how would you go about cooking them?
Savage Access-squirrel edition.........

I've honestly thought about doing similar here in southern MO, although probably just an overnighter.

Interestingly, we are having a mast year for white oaks, but nary a red is to be seen. Last year was the reverse. Red acorns are much prefered. Mast years are more important for NEXT year's squirrel crop however.

How is the hawk population near you? Not bad here, so they arent the explanation but we had a pair of GHO raise three youngsters and they put the hurt to lots of stuff (except house cats :( ).

The high winds have probably had something to do with the derth of squirrels, but still seems strange.
I don’t think the hawks are any more abundant then years past. We have a lot of eagles, and a good number of owls. Bobcats and grey foxes are trending up too.

I mentioned this to my neighbor and he didn’t think it was the reason but the hunting pressure from the Hmong community has been very very heavy on our public land and surrounding private. Last year there was less, this year it was non existent. I have to believe that has something to do with it.

Hawks are mostly winter thing anyway. I don't think most of them have migrated down yet, and won't until the snow up north gets deep.

If it is human predation then your yard squirrels should be as abundant as ever. Mine are not. But they were earlier. this has been the story every year for the last several. Good numbers into midsummer, then they are disappearing.

I wonder about disease, esp. West Nile - they are susceptible, being diurnal. Another wild possibility is that they have returned to their migratory habits -which would be ultra cool, but no way...

Disease is a strong possibility. Migration is possible. As they do seem to move throughout our farm depending on the forest. I’ve only ever seen one squirrel in my yard, but my tallest tree is about and 8’ maple.

Disease is a strong possibility. Migration is possible. As they do seem to move throughout our farm depending on the forest. I’ve only ever seen one squirrel in my yard, but my tallest tree is about and 8’ maple.
Ever read about squirrel migrations in the days of yore? check out the Lewis and Clark notes going down the Ohio for a good one.

What about town park squirrels?

Ever read about squirrel migrations in the days of yore? check out the Lewis and Clark notes going down the Ohio for a good one.

What about town park squirrels?
I’ve never read about squirrel migrations. They are thick in town, at least harpers ferry.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back