Spring Scouting Trip for Late Season AZ Elk

So I drew an AZ late rifle hunt and am roughly 1500 miles away, but I can fly there for a weekend scouting trip fairly inexpensively in mid May.

I plan on flying out over the Thanksgiving holiday to scout the week before the season, but I am wondering what I can look for at such a different time of the year. I know there will be relatively more foliage and that mostly its about me getting a feel for the landscape, drive times rather than actually looking for elk. I know I'm maybe jumping the gun a bit, but I hate the idea of only seeing things on the ground 7 days before a hunt starts. The bonus is I can mountain bike Sedona while I'm out out there.

Any thoughts on scouting during such a different season?

Sounds like you drew a 6a tag. It is a big unit that goes from 8500 ft down to 2500. I'd get a "F!atline"map of the unit so you can acquainted with the unit. These maps are quite good for what roads are open and positions of tanks and springs. Its about 90+% public lands. Everything will change by late November so be prepared to hike into the roadless areas and snow will make a big difference if you are lucky. Have a good time in Sedona, a great place to visit. GJ

I'm actually in 8, I just couldn't miss the chance to ride Sedona decently close by as I'm almost as addicted to mountain biking as hunting.

This is only my second elk hunt, but I'm determined to be more prepared than I was for CO last year as it was really the only hunting trip I've done so far that really though me for a loop. I have zero issue hiking into roadless areas, but 8 seems like outside of Sycamore canyon its terrain rather than pure distance that gets you away from people. I get the impression I'm going to need to find lots of little pockets to glass.

I've never really spent much time in canyon country and I feel a little more overwhelmed looking at the map because there are so many roads. I am starting to realize a late October trip may be better, but I like the idea of being able to regroup over many months after getting some experience in an area.

Get the "Flatline " map for unit 8. Be prepared for all types of weather including snow and talk to the biologist and wildlife manager for the district and learn the travel corridors to lower ground. That could be real important if winter comes in. Yes , a fall trip would be better. GJ

What do the "flatline" provide that isn't on the Onx Maps online interface. I certainly have no issues pooling resources from many places, but it looks to have a lot of the same overlays.

OnX are fine, especially where you have a lot of property boundaries. The Flat lines are big!!!. You can get a much better perspective of the unit. The Flatlines are also 3D shaded as well as contoured. For me, I like all the info I can get about a unit. I have both and they compliment each other. $30 bucks is not much of an investment for a hunt of this quality. FWIW. GJ

Spring or Oct? Get a BLM map for unit. Go ride Sedona (very busy place these days)& drive the roads in decent weather to get the lay of the land. Personally scouting during early hunts & summer gives you false hope. lol But it is usually a 2 fer,keep the family happy & see the unit. It will be night & day difference in seasons & the hunt.
Having an idea of where to go when the place full of elk is dry & no sign or covered in snow is better use of time. Have fun,good unit.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back