MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Spring bear hunt in Washington

Washington Hunter

Just found out I drew a Spring bear permit here in western Washington! hump

This is the first year they've had a Spring bear hunt in this unit (southwest of Olympia.)

Watch out bears starting April 15!

Sweet, is that down on the quinalt res. should be a good hunt. I never have put in for the spring bear hunts. Good luck, shoot a 300 pounder.

No, it's Capitol Forest southwest of Olympia, which is all state land (DNR.)

And my good friend from high school is a wildlife biologist for the DNR. :D

He's gonna help me out. There's a lot of bears up there, and they've been having extensive damage to trees from bears in the Spring, so that's why they're having this hunt. He tells me it won't be an easy hunt though. Will have to do some scouting and find some well used trails and stake 'em out. It's definitely not going to be a spot and stalk type of a hunt. But I might get lucky.

I want some bear sausage. :D

Look in the clear cuts, they may have food barrels out, ask him if there is any, I know they put them out before fall hunts to keep bears out of new growth then take them away.

That's hunting close to home for you. Congrates. I know some folks that wander around up there. I'll asked em to relay any bear sightings, and I'll let ya know what I hear. Good Luck.

WW

WW, that would be great and would be much appreciated. I've only seen one bear in over 20 years of hunting in western Washington, so I could use all the help I can get. And you're right, it is close, it's practically in my front yard.

WH, I worked in that general area 3 years ago on the pipeline and we saw several bear. I might suggest starting at the old RV entrance near McClearly and working your way back over the top dropping down the backside into the Oakville area. There area several large open area's and some big clearcuts for spotting. I will do some checking with several loggers I know that are working the Capitol forrest area to see if they have seen anything. Good Luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back