Yeti GOBOX Collection

Spotting scope review/comparison questions.

midwesthunter

So I was given a Athlon Cronus 20-60 x 86 to test out and do a review on. (https://athlonoptics.com/product/spotting-scope-cronus-20-60x86-ed/)

I am planning to take pictures through phone scope at different distances, power setting, light conditions, ect. The usual stuff.

So it made me think what other info others might be interested in when comparing what spotting scope to buy.

I have a vortex razor 16-48x65 I plan to compare against when in MT antelope hunting in a week or so. I know its not a apples to apples comparison, but its what I have.

1. I was thinking of comparing FOV at similar magnification settings to show the difference between the objective lens.
2. Clarity differences at similar magnification and light conditions, will set the camera to manual setting so there are no discrepancies there.
3. Probably also do a side by side size comparison, I switched to the smaller vortex for weight/room saving while back pack hunting.

What are some other things one might consider when looking for a new spotting scope, outside of warranty and those things?

Sounds like a good start for a comparison, I'd like to get a better quality spotter in the next year, so I'll be following your review for sure.

For me,
I'm more, ummm, budget limited you could say.
I often hike 2-4 miles from my truck, so weight is a big issue.
And being able to see in diminished light conditions.
Kinda makes me curious as to how my purchase this past spring compares to some of the "higher end" optics.

But i don't know of anyone near me owning the higher end spotters. (I live in central Pennsylvania)
Even though some of the LGS have some, they are definitely not fast movers.

Back